1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD (sorta)- G&L L5500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I totally wasn't planning on this. But it was just too good sounding...

I'll post pics later (no pics- no bass....), but this old L5500 I found is killer sounding and, to my surprise, playing as well.
    I always dis-liked G&L's 5 string necks. Tight spacing and chunky profiles. But this one is actually OK.
    It's still tight spacing and chunky, but very playable.

I'll post more later on it when I get a chance. But I'm really digging it.

2. Awesome basses, those 55's. Yes, please do post a pic!

I love the EMG/BTC setup on a fiver. Mine sounded amazing, but man, was it heavy. Had to let it go, but I'd pounce on a 9-pounder if one ever popped up for sale.

jb2pups_0734-1.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've always wanted to try one of those...

4. sunbeast

sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was SUPER close to buying yours when you listed it on Ebay (IIRC). They do sound awesome, but somehow wrong to me at the same time compared to the other G&Ls- but if you're gonna rock EMGs, you might as well do it on a quality piece of bass! I also agree about the nice necks (for whatever reason) on the 5500s- I had a 5500 neck on my L2500 for awhile that I much preferred to the original neck profile-wise (though the maple fretboard was also a plus).

5. Did you play this one when you were at my house?

6. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Mine is just a painted white body with a maple fingerboard.
    Plain Jane.
    And I'd say it's in the 9/9.5 area. Not bad at all.

7. Cool. Would like to see a pic.

A few useless L-5500 factoids for anyone interested..

As I understand it, the 5500 was not a G&L design, they brought in a "ringer" to design it (I forget his name). Hence the EMG's and a different body cut than the 2500/1505.

Only a few hundred were built (can't recall the exact number). They have their own serial numbering system, seperate from the other G&L's of the era.

They came in all the G&L finishes available at the time, including Swirls.

There are two versions. The earliest ones have the pickups located farther apart than the later ones.

The neck widths can vary. Had one that was 2" at the nut, and the one pictured above was 1 7/8" at the nut.

8. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    At first glance it appears to have the same body shape. I'm gonna have to look closer.
    And I really dig the pick-up positioning myself. But it would be interesteing to hear the other one.

9. sunbeast

sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am certain I played one, though maybe not that particular one (I think it was though). I remember it because I think I had never seen or heard one before your house! At the time I was definitely in the honeymoon period of my L2500 love, so I wasn't super interested, but be the time you had put it up for sale I was sniffing for more GAS again and was well accustomed to EMGs as most of my earliest instruments wore them at some stage.

10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    L5500s are great basses. I sold mine mainly due to the weight.

11. Early 5500

SAM_0394.

12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    that bass languised on ebay for a loooong time.
    I think it started at $1800-ish, and eventually sold for $1000-ish

14. Yep, that's where I copped the pic from. It was listed a buncha times for stupid money. Finally sold recently for about $900 + shipping. Fair price for an uber clean prototype, I guess? Looks like it might have an ebony board, which is niiiice.