1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: spalt this (Roscoe time)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nostatic, Oct 30, 2010.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Well, hopefully the Wheel of Basses™ is slowing. I got a brief taste of Roscoe a little while back, and that turned into a bit of an obsession. While I love my Lull PJ, she's going up for sale to be replaced by a bit more modern millie (quick and dirty pics - will take some better ones later):

cs1.

cs2.

cs3.

cs4.

And a *really* quick and dirty sound clip. Lots of sounds to be had, and the B-string is sick all the way up the neck. My first 3-band preamp, and I'm a fan.

http://nostatic.com/mp3/newros1.mp3

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Congrats! Looks and sounds fabulous :cool:

EDIT: I might add, if those are quick and dirty, your bass must be very photogenic.

3. Looks good. Sounds good.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Looks great and sounds great! Which Roscoe model is your bass?

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Body looks really nice. Not into the two tone fretboard though myself. The black hardware also adds to its visual appeal imo. Nice bass.

6. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Roscoe GAS :spit:

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow, sounds even better than it looks!

8. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    :eek::eek::eek: Absolutely stunning bass!!! That spalted is very figured, Congrats

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I just spalted my pants.

10. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    The model is the Century. I actuly briefly had an LG3005 and SKB but I had some ergo issues. The Century however is a great fit.

The two-tone fingerboard is an acquired taste, but I like it a lot in person. The sapwood has cool black streaks. The top is so crazy I figured the fingerboard might as well go along for the ride. I have a fretless being built that will have black diamondwood fingerboard and a crazy Myrtle top with oil finish. It should be a total yin/yang to the Rob Allen. The fretless LG that I briefly had is what sold me on Roscoe. Nice aggressive tone, fairly flexible, and silly low action/easy to play. The looks are just a bonus.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Super nice Roscoe. (sound killer)
    The top is insane.
    I'm waiting on a fretless SKB 3005.
    Gas is killing me.
    If I go with a second, fretted model.
    It will be with a Spanish Cedar body, Spalted Maple top, purpleheart fingerboard.

12. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    That spalt is totally exhibition! Very nice! Spanish cedar body I assume....

13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Haven't listened to the clip, but visually that bass really works! Enjoy.

Edit: good tone, too.

14. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Yes, this is cedar body, Bart pups and 3-band preamp. Weight is 9.3lbs which is on the top end of what I'll get. The fretless will have an ash body and should end up below 9lbs.

15. I LOVE spalted maple. That's gorgeous!

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    This is a winner all around. Great looks, and great sound. Congratulations and have a blast playing that beauty! :)

17. Very nice!

That would look great with some wood pickup covers, too. Does Roscoe offer an option like that? I think the Bartolini are sealed pickups so I'm not sure if it's possible.

18. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I've seen Roscoes with wood pup covers before. Would be hard to match though. Here's the original blank:

cstop.

I've always been a sucker for spalt but this is ridiculous...