1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD-Squier affinity P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Simpson, Oct 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hi all! Acquiring a new bass tomorrow. It's (I believe) a 2014 squier affinity p bass, and plays actually very nice, however a couple of things stand out...
    -It's black with a rosewood board (and a red tort guard! Result)
    -It has an unusual neck. I've been led to believe most p basses have a 44mm nut width, but this is closer to 40mm. Any reason for this?
    -It has (unless I am very ill informed), an alder body, probably not nice under the finish but sounds about correct for a P.

It also needs some upgrades. I want to be able to gig it in a rock environment and it needs to sound (and look) "proper rock p bass".

- pickups
    - bridge
    - tuners are okay, but might get swapped at some point.
    - pickup/bridge covers (perhaps)

If anyone has any reccomendations as to what pickups/bridge would fit the bill would be great!

Oh, almost forgot. Here's a pic! FB_IMG_1508958654428.jpg
    P.S feel free to show your "P"s (*) for some inspiration.

(*) Precision, that is, not P*nis... Thanks.

Oren Hudson and el jeffe bass like this.
  2. It already looks the part.
    If it is Chinese, then it will be Alder.
    Other loctions, could be anything.
    Give it a good setup and play it a while.
    Chances are it will do most of what you want.
    At some point down the road, it may need fresh tuners or pots.
    It's not that they don't work, it's just that they may fail or wear out sooner.
    The bridge should do just fine.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  3. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    Good looking bass.

If it plays, sounds good, and stays in tune, don't waste your money on upgrades. I'll bet all it needs is a good set up.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  4. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    The only real upgrade of the items you listed is the tuners. The tuners, both the open gear and closed gear, are subpar on the Affinity line. I threw on some Hipshot Ultralites and the tuning accuracy improved exponentially. I've had great success with Affinity pickups, still use my stock ones to gig. I did, however, replace the cheap wiring components. For about $25 and a few minutes of soldering, you can have a bass that sounds really good. You can pick up wiring kits from a lot of places. This is where I purchased mine.

5. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta

I have two affinity basses - a p bass and a j bass - that I have modded.

Here is what made the biggest difference for me and the upgrade order I would follow:
    -Strings
    -pots and wiring
    -nut
    -Pickups
    -pickguard (not standard p bass though, so you will likely have to drill new holes)
    -bridge
    -tuners

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Before you start spending money on upgrades (and spend money that could have been used to buy a better bass), PLAY the thing. If it stays in tune, you don't need tuners - if not, you can spend less and get Wilkinson's, or more. I would not worry about the bridge. When I restored my '70s parts bass, I went from a Badass II to a vintage style bridge - no change other than less weight.

Etc.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021