1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sko1270, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:07 PM.

1. sko1270

sko1270

Nov 13, 2007
    LI
    Hey guys,

I picked up a Squier Classic vibe jazz bass at the beginning of the year. The owner had changed the neck to one that says Fender on it but on the back it says made in china and I am suspecting it might be a squier neck. It also came with the original neck which seems pretty good for the most part but there is a bad rattle coming from it. I'm pretty sure it is from the tuners since if I put my hand on them and play the rattle is gone.
    Anyway I have a question about the neck that says Fender. Is it a legit Fender neck or is it just a squier neck with a new decal? Not sure if these pictures are good enough to tell.

thanks in advance for any info

IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2915.JPG

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  2. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    The only Chinese Fender branded basses that I know of come from the Modern Player line. You probably have a Modern Player Jazz neck there with your Squier Classic Vibe body.
    From what I've read the Fender Chinese basses are at least as good as the Indonesian Squiers, if not a little better. And if you're a Fender eliteist like some, you may appreciate having a Fender logo in place of a Squier. Either way, congrats on the new bass!

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Yup, sounds like a legit Fender neck from the Modern Player series.
    Even tho many are still skeptical about instruments made in China, that series was quite highly regarded, and of very respectable quality.
    I don’t know what you paid, but sounds like a cool deal if he included both necks for you - now you can decide which you prefer.
    Also, under no string tension tuners will often rattle; as long as that is the only noise and nothing from inside the neck you’re good to go!

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi sko1270 :)

Give us your body!!!!! :D pics please!!!!

Two necks? Give the "Jaco treatment" to one of them and call it a day :hyper::hyper::hyper:go fretless!!!

happy NBD!

Wise(b)ass

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  5. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Great basses. Congrats.

6. sko1270

sko1270

Nov 13, 2007
    LI
    Thanks guys. I paid $200 total which I think is a pretty good deal. Both necks feel and play well.
    I put the squier neck on another bass, so the neck does have tension, the rattle is pretty loud. lol . I do not think it is from the truss rod though. I will try some rubber bands and other tricks to try and silence the tuners.

Thanks again for the info.

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :laugh::laugh::laugh: I prefer roundwounds on my Jazz ;)

keep on rocking

Wise

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 2:38 AM
  8. Make sure the screws holding the gears on the string shafts are tight.
    The pics look like some may have a bit of slack or it may be the lighting
    causing shadows.
    They don't look like they have any wear, so I think there is hope for them.

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Both CV and Modern player come with same tuning machine pattern.
    But, check the below image first.

Fender MP J neck.
    Fender MP J neck p.
    YAP_1821.JPG YAP_1837.JPG YAP_1844.JPG

The first image is Fender Modern Jazz headstock , the letter behind headstock is just only manufactorty date and simple craft in china words. And big jazz bass in front.

The CV jazz i own before is just like your headstock, but i swap the tuning machines.
    And the Modern player has strunk stripe on neck ,but the CV is just one piece maple neck.

So, i believe the seller change the Squier Decal to Fender , and he fool you......

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    wizard65 likes this.
  10. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I am pretty sure newer Squiers have the phrase “Designed and backed by Fender” on the back of their headstocks. It would appear it’s a Squier neck with a Fender slide on it.

bassstrangler likes this.
  11. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

12. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru
    If it says "Designed and backed by Fender" is a Squier neck. I have no problems with chinese Fenders, got a EA T-Bucket bass 18 months ago and it's been a great bass. Just came with some minor cosmetic things, but plays and sounds great.

13. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Yes, that's exactly what it says... “Designed and backed by Fender”

S/N indicates country of manufacture by first alpha character.

14. Squier neck with Fender logo put on it.

vin088xk1 likes this.
  15. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Me too.

BTW, CV are very nice basses. Congratulations!

FenderB likes this.