NBD: Squier Classic Vibe P bass. 60s style. Are these things rare?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CATFISHMcC0Y, Jul 30, 2017.

1. CATFISHMcC0Y

CATFISHMcC0Y

Mar 23, 2017
    Indiana
    IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1307.JPG IMG_1308.JPG Hello everyone,

I just bought this bass over the weekend because I love the sonic blue and it was what I would consider a good price. I noticed later that he action is super high so I'm hoping that can be adjusted with the truss rod because I was hoping to not have to replace the neck.

My main question is how rare are these things? And does anyone on here have experience playing one? A quick google search found me a few of the red/tort colour combos used on reverb but I couldn't find one in the sonic blue. The serial number checks out with fenders website but it looks like someone didn't like the fact that it was made in China.

Any info you all have on this would be much appreciated as I couldn't really find much with a quick google search.

I hope the neck is salvageable, but if not I do like the colour and I only paid $80 for the thing with a beat up HSC.

exidor, zbigniew, bordinco90 and 6 others like this.
  2. CATFISHMcC0Y

CATFISHMcC0Y

Mar 23, 2017
    Indiana
    Also does anyone know what size Allen key the truss nut requires? Thanks

Antisyzygy likes this.
  3. Looks a little hammered on but in good shape ive seen the blue ones sell used for $300, they didnt make the blue ones very long and in 2008 they were $300 new. $80 is a bargain, im figuring that the intonation is likely off judging by the saddles.

4. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Congrats on the bass. I'd expect that you would need a 3/16" Allen key. That is pretty standard for Fender and Squier products.

5. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    $80 is an absolute steal for one of those! I'd pay double that without a second thought

6. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    A truss rod is not designed to adjust action. It can influence action by the amount of the relief in the neck.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Looks like an upgraded bridge. If the neck's adjustable that bridge will also help you get the action to a playable level.

Cool classic look. Congrats.

CATFISHMcC0Y likes this.
  8. CATFISHMcC0Y

CATFISHMcC0Y

Mar 23, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks for clarifying that. Yeah the saddles are about as low as they'll go but the neck has a significant amount of relief. Like way too much. I'm gonna take it to my guitar tech friend and see if I can get a free setup/intonation if I take him some beers.

Rich Fiscus likes this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nice find. Those easily go for @ least 3 times what you paid. If the action can be sorted out , you found yourself an excellent bargain. The sonic blue is more rare but the Fiesta Red has that Pino Vibe that some love. The sonic blue came with a bridge cover.

I've owned 5 of these in various colors. They happen to be my favorite P basses. Great necks, great build quality , great tone.

Glazenn and CATFISHMcC0Y like this.
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    A Mint Green pickguard could make it look like AVRi 63Pbass.

I am not Sonic blue fans. But i have the Pink-Fiesta Red one. :D

YAP_2053 tbup.jpg

exidor, RyanJD, ivorytower and 3 others like this.
  11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    If the saddles are bottomed out, and the action is still too high, unlikely the truss rod adjustment will remedy it entirely. Most likely need a neck shim. No big deal , should get it low and nice, and get the saddles back up with plenty of room left for adjustment. Nice looking bass! Great find for $80.

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try .010 ~ .012 neck relief on 7th fret, if action still high even the saddle fully sit on the plate. You can choice...

Plan A, Shim the neck , or ,

Plan B, swap the bridge with Fender Vintage Style. i choice plan B for my CV60P and CV50P, plus my previous CV60J.

The lowest action (on 17th fret) i get is only 2.2mm with stock himass bridge. With Fender bridge, i can go to 1.6mm on G string and 2.0mm on E string (Medium tension flatwound like Labella 760FL, Fender 9050L, GHS M3050) and 2.0mm on G string and 2.4mm on E string (Low tension flatwound Ti JF344 and Labella LTF-4A) . Still have 2.5mm free gap between the saddle and plate .

Hope help.

IMG_20170415_011953_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    SirMjac28 and CATFISHMcC0Y like this.
  13. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Fender does indeed use the 3/16", Squier Vintage Modifieds should be 4mm (same as Squier Standards), and the Classic Vibes if I remember correctly would be 5mm ... you do want to use the correct size as the metal is on the soft side and easy to strip on all of these ...

I had a couple of the Sonic Blue ones, they are getting tougher to find, but they are out there ... the red version would have an identical neck, but if it is not twisted, just has excessive relief that the wood has taken on over time, you could also possibly put it in a fixture to bring the neck back to straight again ...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    pudgychef and CATFISHMcC0Y like this.
  14. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... that would actually be the stock bridge that they used on these ... ;)

static0verdrive likes this.
  15. CATFISHMcC0Y

CATFISHMcC0Y

Mar 23, 2017
    Indiana
    Yeah. I'm thinking I'm definitely going to have to go with the mint pickguard.

16. CATFISHMcC0Y

CATFISHMcC0Y

Mar 23, 2017
    Indiana
    Yes, thank you. This is a great help.

Yahboy likes this.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wasn't aware of that. Fender's ancillaries usually aren't about expending any more resources than necessary.

18. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I didn't think that was the stock bridge either but after checking a few photos I was surprised to find that SB versions had those "chrome" saddles and the FR had brass. Curious . . .

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Well, I would've gladly paid twice that much without the case, so...

20. That looks like a stock bridge for a Classic Vibe (love that bridge on my CV jazz). You probably just need a shim and setup (edit: with a fret & board buffing using 0000 steel wool and then lemon oil the fretboard). What a steal! Congrats!

CATFISHMcC0Y likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021