NBD!!! - SQUIER CONTENT - 5 STRING CONTENT - is it a P or J??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mansjasont, Dec 17, 2015.

1. So I picked up this bad boy last night...

IMG_2692.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

Squier Precicion Standard V

Yes it is a 'P-Bass' even though it has Jazz pickups.

This is my first 5 string bass, and is also my first Fender (squier).

The pickups in this are 4 string pickups, does anybody no of a cheap set of 5 string pickups that would drop in?

The finish on this bass is awesome, I thought it was just black when I picked it up, but when I got home I saw it has some flake in the finish and in some lights it looks blue or purple. Anyone know what finish this is?

I didn't get a chance to plug it in at all last night but I did noodle around unplugged and I am really liking it. I was a bit worried about the 19mm spacing at the bridge, but it is super comfortable.

I recently did a purge of a bunch of cheap instruments and told myself that I didn't want to own a ton of cheap crap anymore, rather I just want a couple nice instruments. But when I saw this chance to get into 5 string, I couldn't pass it up. I paid $150 CAN (just over $100 US) for this and it is in near perfect condition, just a quick polish and it is good to go. Setup is exactly how I want it so don't need to touch it. Just a new set of strings and its done. What do ya think?

2. That is a really cool bass! Definitely NOT "cheap crap". Someone once posted a YouTube clip of a well known player busting out a crazy solo on one of those....so it's live-performance worthy.

mansjasont likes this.
  3. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    It's interesting they call it a P due to the body shape rather than pickups. Enjoy.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If there's a bit o' sparkle, it's probably their "Metallic Black" finish. As far as the pickups go, be sure to accurately measure them before buying replacements. They're probably the same, exact size, a frustrating idiosyncracy of the Squier Standard line. (I've posted extensively about that and more on the Squier Perfect Fit Megathread)

That's been the Fender/Squier S.O.P. for a long, long time, the body-shape determines the designation. It makes sense, since a P-body is and always will be a P-body, no matter what electronics go into it. ;)

5. @Malak the Mad @walldaja It was proven recently in another thread (can't remember which) that there is no one specification that determines whether it is a P or a J

6. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Never liked P basses 'till I owned one.
    That does look groovy.
    Nice flooring there, did you put it in yourself?

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Now my curiosity is really piqued, by both the criteria used and by whom it was used to prove such a thing. No sarcasm here, just a bit of skepticism, especially when the company that created both models already has it's own method of classification. After all, if you take these two examples…

0146202506_gtr_back_001_rl.jpg

0146100506_gtr_back_001_rl.jpg

…I'd say it's pretty clear which is the Precision and which is the Jazz. Everything else…neck, pickups, etc…, is merely added "after the fact". But perhaps this isn't the best place to hash this out. This is, beyond anything else, your New Bass Day thread and I, for one, wanna say "cheers to you" for finding something that you truly dig…doubly so that you found it at such a bargain. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  8. Thanks, although I agree with what you say, it is very obvious differences between a "Jazz Body" and a "P Body". But, the thread I was talking about listed a number of models that were called "Jazz" but had a P body and P Pickups and vice versa. I am not a Fender expert, so I can't go citing the different models. I wish I could find this thread back but I can't.

Idealy, Fender should have from the start just said "if it has a "P" body, its a "P"or vice versa. Instead they might call a Jazz body a P because it has P pickups but the next one is a Jazz even though it has a P body and pickup, with a Jazz neck. All I was saying is that there isn't ONE thing that fender uses to determine if its a J or P, its whatever they decide that day:D

I love a good discussion no matter where it is, so don't feel bad bringing it up here.:thumbsup:

9. Thanks, I never liked P's either but lately I had a desire to give them a shot:thumbsup:. Now that I own a P, does that mean I have to get a Tort guard and put flats on it?

Funny that you ask because before I posted this, I looked at the pictures and thought "Wow, my floors look really good in this pic" Yes I did install the flooring myself, although, I wish I could say that it was all real wood. This floor is a really good quality vinyl plank flooring. You can get a similar product at Home depot, but this stuff is much better quality. The perks of knowing a guy that supplies flooring to flooring shops:D.

10. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I picked one of these up a couple of months ago on CL. I paid $75 for it and it is in almost new condition. The serial number says it's a 2001. Mines shoreline gold. Great bass with very high quality.

11. That's awesome! Mines also a 2001. Sometimes I feel like getting a sweet deal on something is almost as good as getting the something. I'm not a huge fan of black basses, that shoreline gold is sweet.

My dilemma is, every cheap bass I've owned, I always tore it apart and refinished it. I'm not a huge fan of black, but I love this bass. Will I be killing it if I refinish it?

12. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I'd do a few things, put original knobs on it and change the pickguard. Now, I know changing the guard is a hassle on this bass because you'll have to send it to Pickguardian because there is no other option.

I've had recent success making pickguards with IKN pickguard material ordered from Amazon and using a Dremel.

I'm wondering how rare these basses are, I'm not going to get rid of mine as I feel it is a oddball and it is rather well made. The quality is actually quite surprising, I would say it is on par with any Standard MIM bass I own. It is very solid and the neck is for lack of a better term beefy.

13. So... thought I'd update this post since I had a thread about this bass. I sold this bass yesterday. I got just over 2 years of use out of it and sold it for a 100% profit :D (besides the cost of the strings I put on it).

That said, there should be a new NBD post from me shortly:bassist:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021