1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Squier CV 50s Precision Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soong, Jul 4, 2019.

1. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Picked this baby up new this week.

Beautiful 51 style P in trans white blonde. Honestly, even if this had a Fender badge I'd still be blown away by the quality and finish. The fretwork is excellent - no fret buzz right out of the box. Truss rod really smooth. Neck feels a little comfy and chunky (not as much as my 1960 CS P).

Gave her a good set up and strung her up with Labella James Jamerson sig flats and she plays and sounds like a million bucks. I've never played a single coil P bass before and I'm pleasantly surprised! Mojo factor is through the roof. Check out some pics and have a listen with some good speakers/headphones:

[​IMG]

oysteivi, scottm, 4-fingers and 57 others like this.
  2. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Sounds great, and very nice playing too! These Squier '50s Precisions are amazing for the money, IMO. I'm surprised your neck is able to handle those Jamerson strings. I had Roto 77s on mine and it was just too much tension for that poor neck. Ended up switching them out for TI flats and the neck is much happier. Although, admittedly the sound isn't quite as old school as the Rotos. Congrats on your new bass!

Simon Fretless likes this.
  3. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks man! Should I be concerned about leaving the Jamerson flats on? I wouldn’t never really intend to take them off...did it permanently bow your neck?

4. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    No damage or bow to speak of. I just couldn't get the neck to lay down flat enough to have relief that I felt was acceptable. Even after cranking the truss rod tighter, it wouldn't hold after a day or two. So in order for me to get it to where it was nice to play, I just went with the much lower tension TI Jazz flats. I loved the way the bass sounded with the Roto flats though.

If your relief and action is staying put, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe your neck is cut a bit differently and offers more stability? (some owners have reported getting an unexpected bonus of a quartersawn neck!). At any rate, if yours is rock solid and can handle the beefy Jamerson LaBella flats, then why mess with a good thing? Your video is proof positive that they sound fantastic on that bass! :bassist:

5. Flooflox

Flooflox

Aug 25, 2014
    Oh, man. That sound great!

Simon Fretless and soong like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Last of the real CVs!
    (Still not sure about the new ones.)

If you're worried about the strings, you might want to try GHS black tapewounds. I can guarantee you will be totally satisfied with the tone, and they'll look great on that maple fretboard, white pickguard and blonde body.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  7. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    Good man on swooping on one!! I love mine. Is yours heavy? Mine is. Lots heavier than my Butterscotch version of the same bass. Anyways...I am using La Bella 760FL with no problems and I have the relief set at .010” I didn’t want to use the Jamersons on this neck.
    But if the neck and truss can keep those cables stable...then that’s awesome!!

8. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Awesome! Hard to say as I've only owned it a few days. But loving it! Time will tell I guess.

Not heavy at all! I have a good relationship with the local store. The manager picked out the lightest one with the nicest grain.

9. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Every bass demo is better with a small cute dog :woot: Screenshot_2019-07-05_10-58-12.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nice! I got a chance to play a CV 50s PB for a three song set at a workshop I attended by swapping basses with its owner who wanted to try my bass. :laugh:

And I came away extremely impressed by the tone and the feel. IMO it’s one of the best instruments to ever come out of a Fender owned company. And as you said, the retro vibe factor is through the roof with that bass.

Congratulations on getting a fine bass.

Play it well! :):thumbsup:

P.S. Beautiful tone in that vid. Nicely played. :)

11. Flacco

Flacco

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    ...why'd you have to go and do that...now I'm gonna be spending all my time looking for one of these for myself!

UGH! Damn the GAS!

But seriously, great playing, great bass and great dog.

12. Congratulations ! Bravo ! Super ! :woot:
    Quelle belle trouvaille ! J'espère que tu es content et que tu auras du plaisir ! :laugh:
    I have the same one with the stock strings (i believe ?) and i absolutely love it !!
    (NBD : Squier CV 50s Precision bass !)
    Putting flats on is tempting, but i might put flats on my 70's Jazz instead...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    It's gorgeous, congratulations! I've got one in butterscotch blonde and it's a wonderful instrument. These Chinese Classic Vibe Squiers are amazing value. The fretwork on mine is actually a lot better than most new MIA Fenders I've tried recently.

I change the pickup in mine to a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II. There was a slight tightening of he lows and slightly more presence in the upper mids but in hindsight not really worth the cost. Especially when considering the price of the bass. The stock pickup is actually surprisingly good.

The only negative I've got to say about this bass is that the jack output is very poorly designed (unless they've fixed it on later production runs). It's bound to loosen at some point and it's a huge hassle to tighten it again (requires access from inside). My advise: Replace the metal cup with a Tele-style that's got screw holes to fasten the cup directly into the wood. Problem solved.

14. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Your playing was..
    like-butter.

soong likes this.
  15. I've been thinking about picking one of these up for a while now. Does anyone know if there is routing underneath the pickguard? If I get one, I either want to swap it with a black guard or take it off completely.

Simon Fretless likes this.
  16. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I have one of those and, from memory, there is no swimming pool route. I have removed the pickguard before because I liked the look without the pickguard.

It has been awhile. I should double check. I am at work right now. I will reply later this evening.

Simon Fretless and Snibborwocky like this.
  17. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Such a nice bass! Great playing as well! Enjoy it

18. No routing. It looks fine if you can deal with the screw holes.

19. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    There is no route so remove away if you wish!

20. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Congrats on the new bass! Looks and sounds awesome! That sound is exceptionally smooth, quite impressive.

So we know what bass you're playing, what about the rest of your set up? Amp, cabs, pedals, recording software, DI out, etc... Inquiring minds wanna know :D