1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Squier CV 50s Precision Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soong, Jul 4, 2019.

1. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks great, sounds great --- it must be pretty great! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

soong likes this.
  2. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Great bass, I have one also. Congrats.

soong likes this.
  3. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    nice playing dude....this bass is high on my GAS list, you ain't helping! ;)....the colour is not my fave though, but your pic looks better than I thought compared to other pics

soong likes this.
  4. p12bassnut

p12bassnut Be wierd Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    Very nice, great video, cute dog.

soong likes this.
  5. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    I thought the same. The color was different. Almost a pink color in pics. But seeing the actual color is night and day compared to pics. It’s really a nice color.

Maxime1980 and edencab like this.
  6. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Congratulations! Wonder bass. Wonderful playing. THANK YOU for providing a demo of a bass that is musical, rather than random "riffs" with no context. What you did was perfect. Bravo!

soong and edencab like this.
  7. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Oh....and the dog was awesome! :) so cute.

soong likes this.
  8. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    yeah ..I'm not into a pink bass (IMHO)....I think any other colour I'd get one, but I made a P-bass kit so I'm good for now

soong likes this.
  9. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks so much everybody!! I own a Fodera and MTD but it’s amazing how happy I can be with a well set up cheap bass too!!

Thanks so much Clark!! If you want the honest answer...

Squier CV 50s P > Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 > GarageBand (using a HPF @ 45hz). That’s it!! For a lot of these transcription videos I keep it fairly raw...

Arnel M. and Clark W like this.
  10. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I have a Focusrite Scarlett myself. Haven't used it much, but have loved the results I have gotten when I have used it. Been using Ableton Live 10 with it on a Windows based PC.

soong likes this.
  11. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    I have one of those and I love it, agree with your assessment 100%. It's funny, the guy at the music store said it's much lighter because it's a pine body. LOL. Must be Doug Fir because it the same weight as my MIM J bass, 9.5 lbs. Solid and well made instrument, would recommend it to anyone.

12. People hear “pine” and automatically think about the lightweight clear pine from wood shop classes. Some species of pine are on the heavy side. I’m almost positive that they went with this particular species in order to have a dramatic visible grain under the translucent finish. Mine’s about 9-9.25 pounds.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  13. Thomas Devenney

Thomas Devenney

Jan 7, 2015
    I got one too! I bought it about 6 months ago. I didn't intend to buy it at the time. I ordered, and payed for a 5 string Squier VM P bass, but it wasn't in stock. The shop suggested the 50s CV Squier in white blond. I thought okay, as I liked the look of it. So, after it's arrival, I was stunned by the look and quality of the bass; and the feel of it was spot on. So I kept it and love it.
    Having said that, what I was really after at the time, was the Squier CV 60's P bass in Fiesta Red with Tort shell. I knew that it had been discontinued in 2015(I think). So, I sent an advertisement in all the bass groups on Facebook. I finally got an offer, which I quickly accepted as it looked in good condition.
    Of the two, I prefer my Fiesta Red.

soong likes this.
  14. I bought a Squire Modified Jazz bass 4 years ago
    and it's been the best bass ever - easy to play and sounds great with my Rumble 500 combo
    I was worried that because it was the 'cheap' version of Fender it might not be the greatest , but I'm totally happy with it - it's my only bass and I use it in my covers band

bass.

15. Mojo - check
    Sound - check
    Playing - check
    Music - check
    Signal chain - check
    Music to bass volume ratio for demo - check
    Dog - check
    Price - check
    GAS - check check check
    My budget - X

ps. The bass on my avatar had chrome bridge & saddles. But after hearing some Jazz & P CVs (which sounded like their more expensive brothers), I recently replaced the saddles with brass. Just haven't tested it if there's much difference. But it looks cool. :bassist:

Simon Fretless likes this.
  16. I have an earlier version of this bass, blonde with a black pickguard.... I changed out the bridge to a more "period-correct" 2-saddle STB bridge, added the covers/ashtrays, and put on flatwounds.... my original plan was for this to be a pass-around bass for Oldies/Rockabilly, but everyone in my oldies band fell in love with it, especially the drummer. Great muscley clarity. Most of my favorite basses are fretless, so I really appreciate the smaller vintage-style fretwire on this model. It is heavy but the sound is fantastic, and for vintage vibe, it can't be beat! Enjoy yours - it is a fun bass!

Attached Files:

soong and Snibborwocky like this.
  17. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Lol!!! Thank you so much!!

Arnel M. likes this.
  18. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got one of these too. Love. I did replace the pickup with a Lindy Fralin, and redid the electronics with CTS/Emerson components, etc.
    But still, I paid $350 for the bass and about $300 on parts, and now have a superb bass for around $650.

Arnel M. and soong like this.
  19. demo demo :D

dannylectro likes this.
  20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Stock pup sound pretty nice with labella LTF4A ,Ti flat and fender 7150ML.

Don't forget bump both A and D magnet pole to match 9.5 fretboard radius for better balance string to string output.

Rallypoint_1 likes this.