1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD squier cv 50's: some observations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Feb 15, 2013.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Well after getting some great opinions from you guys I pulled the trigger on a squier Classic Vibe 50's P bass. I got it from zzounds, always a class act for 295.00. It arrived in two days and was well packed. I pulled her out tuned her up and I must say I like the sound. It doesn't have the low end growl of a standard p bass but the mids and highs are raspier and cleaner. I will say the out of the box set up blows the neck has a lot of positive relief and the action is like an inch high. But I love the feel of the neck. I would say that it's more of a modern p neck, except for the fret wire. It's not as thick as my 1975 p bass neck profile. I like the high mass bridge with the brass Sadler but I wish she was string through body. The volume pot works great and isn't to loose but the tone pot doesn't seem to affect the tone very much. I'm probably going to swap the wiring out for vintage type wiring with cts pots and a Jenson pio cap. The ill play with it for a while before I decide if I want to change the pick up, many have said this is a huge changer a d I have been considering the Duncan scpb-2 to add a little more low end growl, or the Fralin non split o overwound. I may also swap the pickguard out for a white just to make it look differant.
    Overall once the set up is sorted out I must say this is a lot of bang for your buck. The quality and build are way above the mim fenders I have been seeing lately. No it's not on par with my 2012 American p bass but not many basses are, I got a mutant cause my American sings like an opera diva.

2. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    85FD9F34-8E13-48F4-BAFE-E38429583F60-1178-000000E5E06A97D9_zpsd5359ea2.
    827AAED3-8489-4978-B43D-319F4216E172-1178-000000E5D842522D_zps00f72e5f.

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    you have the capability to get an accurate weight on it? thank you

4. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    No but it's way heavier than the other two. The 2012 is the lightest and the 1984 is I'm between. With that said its not gibson heavy

5. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Well looks like it's going back to zzouds for exchange....like I mentioned earlier the neck was bowed pretty bad out of the box. I took it my local gold level fender dealer and he said even with the truss cranked down the neck still had a good bit of positive relief, not good since I want to run flat wounds anyhow. So zzounds is going to send me a return shipping receipt and then ship me a new one. The tech at the fender dealer said he never saw one like that come out of the box, it also had full tension on the strings out of the box.

6. They'll make it right - still a pain in the butt.

I also have a 2012 AmStd P and a CV 50's P ~ love 'em both.

7. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Ya zzounds is an awesome company to deal with....but a total bummer. The 2012 American is one of the best basses I have ever owned

8. bigbassmike

bigbassmike

Jan 25, 2011
    Albuquerque
    I had to send back my first CV 50s because it had dead spots around the 3rd through 6th frets on the E string. I know a couple dead spots are often expected, but even the music store Luthier said I should return the bass. It was a bummer to return it, but hoped the next one would be better. Anyway, the next one I got is perfect. No issues whatsoever. It is an excellent bass. I also have a 2011 American Standard P and although the Squier is an outstanding bass, the American Standard is just amazing. I'm sure the next CV you get will be a good one.

9. My CV had been put through the paces as a Guitar Center demo. If it can survive that, it can survive anything. :)

10. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Anyone have one with a white pick guard

11. No offense, but why would you do that? It won't affect or improve anything.

12. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    I prefer the sweep of the cts pots more it seems to be finer to me. Also I don't want to turn this into a capacitor war page. But I prefer to have a paper in oil cap when I dial the tone back it just sounds better to my ears. I have done this to all my basses except my American 2012.

13. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Well I got a second bass today, notice I didn't say new. Zzounds sent me a used bass that was a little beat up and had a high a couple high frets, as measured by the local fender tech. It also had dead string which looked well used. Now let me say I normally love zzounds but 2 basses so far and still no luck

14. I would return it at take your money somewhere else.

Bum Deal!

15. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Like I said I like zzounds one more chance

16. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Well zzounds finally came through after two different basses the last one was a winner. So far I have swapped the strings out for a set of precision flats and added the covers. My next thing is a white pick guard and then a new pick-up.
    Anyone have a spare white pickguard from a cv? Or want to trade for a black one
    6081FD53-009F-4AD0-BA91-C27F202D60C6-731-0000008D53029802_zpsd26d7209.

17. What a beauty! Love the grain in that body.

Glad you got a winner this time!

18. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    That is a very nice example - terrific grain as mentioned above. Very nice that zounds dealt with the issues til you were satisfied. FWIW, I am now a dedicated Sweetwater buyer; after the customer service attention and pre-ship setup surrounding the purchase of my Squier VM Tele BEFORE buying, I am very confident in making online purchases with them.

19. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Ya I have heard good things about SW and a pre shipment set-up would have been nice. Reason I went with ZZounds is they do in house financing with no interest. I don't want to add another Credit Card and with ZZounds it makes it easier to hide purchases from my wife :bag:

20. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Ya this one is outstading...if you look at the first bass they sent on the bottom upper part of the body near the arm contour you will see it had no grain whatsoever it was just blank and off color.