1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Squier JV Jazz Bass Content.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, Oct 7, 2009.

1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Bear with me I have to attach photo's because trying to upload pics to photobucket keeps crashing my laptop.

I haven't had an NBD in a long time. I had a brief affair with an import G&L JB-2 but traded it for a preamp. It was a nice bass,..but just wasn't for me. Other than that this is the only bass that I've bought in 10 years. I've been so satisfied with my Warwick Thumb BO 5er that I didn't think it needed a stable mate.

I originally went to the shop to seek out some FX which I didn't really find anything I wanted,...and overpriced Phase 90. I will note that as I passed the window I saw the outline of the back side of the familiar Fender Headstock with a hang tag that said $299. I didn't think much of it and pitstopped at the effects counter. After deciding there wasn't anything I had to have I looked at the usual assortment of S101 toys and beat up old corts and starter Ibby's and ESPs When I came across the Bass that I figure for an overpriced Korean/Indonesian Squier. As soon as I saw the patina and the font of the "Jazz Bass" I new it had to be different.

Attached Files:

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Is your name lucky?

thats an awesome find. I did not know it was possibly to not buy a bass for 10 years, i think i would die after like 1.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Any chance of some straight up pics James? You know Im dying here.. ;)

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Sure enough,...It was a Squier Japanese Vintage. I had searched these out in the past on ebay and CL but never had any luck finding one. The bass feels great. It has an awesome played in feel and the tone is warm punchy and all J bass.

Attached Files:

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Sorry, Pics will come as I type up the replies,...I got interrupted by a call from my brother, so slowly getting the replies up. I also decided on a car to buy so it will be NCD next week, so lots of excitement today.

At any rate,...the guy that I dealt with at the shop actually lives across from me and I've played on the same bill as his band. I think he appreciates someone that knows his gear. I walked out the door with it for $272 including tax.

The paint is a little beat up. We quipped that Fender would charge an extra $800 bucks for the relicing. I love the yellowing of the PG.

Attached Files:

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thats more like it!

That thing is hott!

7. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    I'm not sure if I would change anything on it. I may put some dimarzio J's in it,...the same ones JMJ has in his,...I might need to have the Covers aged to match the PG though....:ninja:

I'm not sure what these go for in this condition,...but I think I got a pretty screaming deal on it. One of those deals you never think will come your way.

Gotta love the patina on the hardware. You can't fake this type of wear. To bad I didn't put it there myself.

Attached Files:

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    thats such a great price , it would look better with jazz knobs everything else is perfect

oh and i think its worth 500+ , i know its not worth less then 500

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    It's a cool bass and sounds great through my GK. I've seen some good JV resources but had a hard time finding them through google and searching TB. It has the JV SN so it's dated between 82-84. The thing sounds and plays great and feels like a worn in pair of sneakers. I definitely think this bass was toured with. I need to get a case for it.

Thanks for the replies, I'm done posting pics...I'm off to get the wife,...but your comments are appreciated.

What were the original knobs If I might ask.

10. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i think it just had regular jazz style knobs on it.

11. Yep LCW is right just standard jazz knobs. I don't think the bridge is original either but everything else looks good. Killer bass and you stole it at that price. I am jealous.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    The metal control plate looks new too. It definitely doesn't have the patina that the tuners have,...I may have a control plate relic'd just to match. Oh BTW the tuners are reverse style. It surprised me since the bass was a half step flat when I brought the bass home. I tried to tune it normally,...whoops wrong way. :D

OG Jazz Bass knobs are the knurled metal ones then? The last J I had was a CIJ 75 RI and I can't remember the style of knobs it had,...that was the bass I owned up until I got my 'Wick.

The more I play the bass the more I love it. Definitely feels better than the Korean and Indonesian Squiers that for sure. Those have a disposable feel,...this Squier feels better than some Am. Stds. I've played.

13. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Yup,...those were the ones on my 75 RI. Thanks. I may pull the trigger on those.

15. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    No problem, for some reason i just think a jazz does not look right with out them, i just noticed it had a strap button on the back of the headstock.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Yup there is a screw hole there, and it looks like a little wear on the finish...was that just for a replacement or was there a reason that they attached a strap button up there?

17. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I always thought it was a replacement. Then i joined TB and i was told it was so you could attach a strap there, and wear it almost like the bass was standing up, leo thought bassist would want to play electric more like an upright.

18. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Well,...he got a few things right. I wonder if CBS and whomever else has owned FMIC ever raised an eyebrow when they bought the designs.

19. wow talk about mojo
    thats a cool lookin bass !!!

20. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yep... superb... love the tuners!