1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Squier Matt Freeman P-Bass with Upgrades!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bordinco90, Mar 28, 2015.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I just got a new Squier Matt Freeman P-Bass. I put black hipshot ultralight tuners, Fender Vintage 62' Pickups, 250k pots, and Fender P Bass Knobs on the bass. I sounds amazing and plays great! Here are some pics. Feel free to comment and tell me what you guys think?

Before:
    IMG_0150[1].JPG

After:
    IMG_0178[1].JPG IMG_0179[1].JPG IMG_0180[1].JPG

petrus61, nofrets5 and Thebrownarrow like this.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The black tuners are the best bit. If it was mine I would've stuck with black clover or lollipop but it isn't mine so it is great! Too bad Hipshot doesn't make SPADE shaped buttons with the points sticking out; that would look so cool on that bass!

How do you describe the tonal change with that pickup? Granted you changed the pots too.

3. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    It sounds really nice. It really gives it that vintage p bass sound that I was looking for. The pots made the tone and volume controls pretty sensitive.

4. diverse379

diverse379

Mar 4, 2015
    Thanks for sharing i got rid of my MAtt Freeman
    as I thought the pickups and tone controls were just too in the basement

I dont know why I didnt consider a pickup change..

duh

5. Nice! I suggest a black string tree to match the tuners,though.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nice, I'd do much the same except I use Gotoh Res-O-Lite 350 tuners instead of Hipshots.

I would also install the original style threaded saddle bridge. It's my favorite bass bridge for tone and it's also lighter than the OEM bridge. I'd also move the strap button from the upper horn to the upper left neck screw (viewed from the back) using a longer neck screw (or just add a strap button there) for what I find to be better balance. In fact, I just made those changes to my Squier VM Cabronita bass.

Following a post I read here, over the last year or so I've been removing the string trees from my Fender and Fender style basses and winding the strings all the way down to the headstock. I find it makes the G and D string sound better to me.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  7. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    These tuners have been laying around in a drawer for years. I really like them. They are a great replacement for the cheap tuners that come on the MF. The electronics (pickups, pots, knobs) feel very cheap IMO. I love the neck, it is very comfortable to play. I am worried that when I play a gig with it and my forearms start to sweat, the neck will become sticky, but we shall see.

8. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I really thought about putting a black hipshot bridge. The stock bridge is ok. It too like most Squier components feel cheap.

9. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Just curious - what does that mean?

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It means I've installed that bridge on quite a few basses and I like tone of the bass with the threaded saddle bridge more than with the bridge I removed.

11. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry, I should have asked a more specific question: What tonal qualities get enhanced by the threaded saddles?
    As I try my hand at building basses, this kind of information will tempt me to try several hardware options.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What I think really doesn't matter. If you're interested in building or modifying instruments, you should definitely try different components to see what you think of the results on the instrument you're modding.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Nice upgrades. Mine is stock and I like it. Don't really feel the tuners are "cheap". They work fine, so do the knobs.

14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Happy NBD!

I also just picked up one of these and I think they're great. I also ditched the knobs in favor of the more traditional, flat top barrel type that are more commonly associated with Precision basses, and dumped the pickups in favor of some Duncan SPB-1's, which totally brought a great playing bass to life. I also gutted the oddly spec'd electronics, which featured a 250k linear volume and 250k log tone pot that were both different brands and had different shaft sizes. I went with CTS/Switchcraft for the pots and jack and also lost the .068uf cap in favor of the standard .047uf value found in most contemporary Precision basses.

I like the black hardware and considered going that route, but I set a strict budget for myself on this one:
    image.

I'm not a fan of the big brass saddles (they clash) or "high mass" bridges in general, but this one is growing on me. Also, there are no direct drop in replacements available for this particular screw pattern, so if it didn't mean drilling and plugging, I may have sought out a regular vintage RI style bridge. This one works fine and serves its purpose, so I can deal.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    bordinco90 likes this.
  15. The bridge was a plus for me when choosing this bass, as it has the all important (to me) tracks in the base plate to keep the saddles from moving sideways. I know that my excited right hand will otherwise pull the E saddle out of position.

Only mod on mine so far is a hipshot d-tuner. Oh, and slightly filing down some sharp fret ends.

16. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah I do like the bridge, but I want one that feels a little better and going with the black theme. So I might get a black bridge in the future, but it is not of high importance right now. The fret ends on mine were perfect.

17. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Nice Bass! I wired mine the same way the stock pickup were ran. It sounds good.

petrus61 likes this.
  18. Sorry to bump such an old thread (not even sure if you still have the bass!) - just wondering if the Ultralites on this bass were the 1/2"? Looking to install a set on my MF P. Thanks!

19. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I do not have the bass anymore, but I believe that it was the 1/2's

Hank Scorpio likes this.
  20. Brilliant, thank you