1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NBD: Squier Vintage Modified Precision V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ldryder, Oct 25, 2017.

1. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    Recently, I've started to play some modern Country and wanted to try a 5 string. I'd never played a 5 string, outside of a music store and didn't want to spend too much money to try something that may not agree with me.

After doing some research here, I learned about the Squier Vintage Modified Precision V and decided to pick one up.

Fortunately, I found a brand new bass, and it was delivered today.

I'd never owned a Squier before and I have to admit that I'm very impressed with the quality of the instrument, the fit and finish and the tone.

This is a REALLY NICE bass and far beyond what I expected to receive for such a reasonable price!!!

Since I always play with flatwound strings, I'll have to figure out which flats have a very articulate B String. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

20171025_150403.jpg 20171025_150514.jpg 20171025_150413.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Congrats on the new bass! I have the same one, and love it!

Chromes seem to play well with these. I tried DR Legends as well, but didn't care for them. DR Fat Beams are a great choice for rounds.

These are great stock, but if you ever get the itch to mod, Hipshot HB7 tuners drop right in and work wonderfully. A Hipshot Kickass 5 would also drop right in, and not only looks cool, but sounds great! Also, a Stellartone Tonestyler really gives the bass a ton of personality!

G RICH 5 and Glazenn like this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats!

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nice! Love the white.

I have the same bass (but sunburst) and it is an amazing instrument for the $$$. Mine is strung with Tomastik Infeld flats and they sound killer. The B is articulate and not noticeably louder than the other strings as 34” 5ers with flats tend to be. Expensive strings, but last almost forever.

My main gigging basses are Foderas but the Squier goes to every gig as a backup but gets played a lot.

5. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    I have Thomastik-Infeld JF344's on my Lakland, when I use flats on that bass, and always on my American Vintage '63 Precision bass. I've tried a wide-variety of different flats and ALWAYS come back to the T-I's for those two instruments. The 500/1 Hofner is the only bass that I never really liked T-I's on, and stayed with the original Pyramids on that one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  6. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Just picked up a similar bass and I put a set of chromes on. I also added a set of Hipshot string guides to really pull the B down over the nut and the two combined really make the B quite articulate. Like you, I’m very impressed with the build quality.

Glazenn likes this.
  7. Sweet!

I’m thinking of getting one specifically to shove a MM pickup into the bridge position.

8. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Bremen
    I recommend LaBella flats. I use a jazz basses with la bellas tuned BEAD and the LaBellas are great.
    How do you get along with that bass? I never liked 5 strings, they feel weird. But maybe it's just a matter of giving it some time?

9. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    Although I've really liked the tone of the Fender 8250-5M strings that came on the bass, I'm going to switch to the same strings that I ALWAYS seem to end up using.... Thomastik-Infeld JF345 Jazz Flats.

I really enjoy playing the 5 string and appreciate the benefit of having the additional string.

10. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    My Squier VMP5 (strung with Chromes) through a Markbass CMD102P and a Presonus mixer (live)

Attached Files:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021