1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Squier VM Tele Special (Lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fat Steve, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Good afternoon kind TBers! I wanted to go ahead and give a quick review of my recent purchase of a brand new Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special bass.

Quick back story. Back at the beginning of this year, I began developing some tendonitis issues in first my left wrist and then later my right. As I've been working on technique, I've also realized that a 32" scale better suits my ergonomic needs and allows me to play octaves in the first couple of positions with less discomfort. I'm 5'6" with sausage fingers, so it can be a bear trying to play some riffs on a 34" scale bass. I purchased a couple of 32" SX Jazz copies back in February and March, both a fretted and fretless, and I gigged them extensively. They were alright, but I wanted a 32" on steroids, and the Tele spoke to me. So I happened to see this after hearing about the VM Tele MF Stupid Deal of the Day and looking at the other online retailers:

ScreenShot2014-06-21at41832PM_zps4956b6b1.

I jumped on it immediately as it was $40 less then the STDOTD, and they'd break it into 4 payments, interest free.

Well, it showed up on Thursday, and all I can say is DAYUUUMMM! This is one serious bass. Id guess it's in the 10+LB weight class, which isn't that bad with a wide strap. I have to play it a bit lower then I play my other basses, as the upper part of the body is HUGE. The neck is positioned perfectly, and because of the weight and strap knob locations there is no neck dive to speak of. It actually sits at a nice angle upwards, which was a surprise. The fretwork is great, and the bass arrived with the truss rod completely slack, so all I had to do was turn it till it was at proper relief. The action is great for me, and could go lower if I wanted to. The were a couple little finish issues, such as a faint stripe through the finish on the back. That stuff doesn't really bother me.

The sound. The sound on this thing is pretty awesome. The neck pickup is really "boomy", which I adore as I play DB for roughly half of our set and I can have a bit more neutral equalization between the two then I could with my SX Jazz. The middle position is great for aggressive up-tempo fingerstyle, and the bridge has a really nice high-mid sound that's great for harmonics and slap.

On the topic of slap and pop, this bass is probably not my first choice for those songs that require that style. The reason for this is that the location and sheer size of the mudbucker prevent my fingers from being able to get under the string for the "pop" while still being able to slap the thumb down on the end of the neck, as is my way of playing that style. I will work on adjusting my technique to try and get over that hurdle, but I thought I'd mention it to anyone wishing to get one of these bad boys with the intention of playing some mean slap.

Well enough blabbering on about me, here's the bass!

Attached Files:

HomeRecordings likes this.
  2. Congrats - looks like a real honey!

SO glad to hear it fits you nicely and that you can get around on it alright - even with your tendonitis!

Too bad to hear that the mudbucker keeps you from poppin and slappin to a degree, but hey, she is nowhere near a one trick pony in my estimation.

May that darlin give you many fine hours of inspiration and joy!

Best,

BassHappy

Fat Steve likes this.
  3. Fat Steve

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah, I like this one. I may even keep round wounds on this one.

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Just so you know, I have Daddario Flex Steels on mine, and it sounds mean. Great classic rock tone imo. And congrats! That is some cool neck/stock grain :)

5. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    A beauty! Get it checked by a guitar tech if you don't have nut working abilities. Getting the nut slotted lower will help you a lot in your fretting hand. Usually Fender and Squire bass nut slots are very high out of the factory, and you will have a lot of room as far as lowering the strings at the nut. The result will be very noticeable- It will be much more comfy for that fretting hand in the first position or two. When the nut is set too high, you have to work harder to get that string to the fret! That is rather delicate work that calls for the right sizes slotting files, feeler gauges, etc

6. Fat Steve

So I went ahead and put flats on it over the weekend. Chomes gave this thing a character that I didn't quite expect. It now has that percussive thump with a mean growl when I dig in. Going to take the nut down a millimeter or two tonight.

Garret Graves likes this.
  7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Very nice! I like you color choice.
    I've been eyballin' this model. My have to investigate further..

8. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    Congrats!
    Welcome to the club!
    Made a few mods...
    'Love mine!
    [​IMG]

9. Fat Steve

Is that Delano a humbucker?

10. jetgraphics

jetgraphics

Dec 12, 2007
    Jawjuh
    Is the string spacing 19mm or 17.5mm at the bridge?

11. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    Yeah. It's a Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 split humbucker.
    'Pretty sure 19 mm bridge spacing. Someone else to verify?.....

12. Uncle Moe

Uncle Moe

Nov 15, 2013
    Maryland
    I know this is not for everybody but I took mine and disassembled it and relic'ed the bass... I love it... Plays like its 30 years old... there are different thoughts on relicing but I love old beat up guitars....

Attached Files:

MattyH likes this.