1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Starcaster by Fender P- Bass....pretty rare and weird....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by covermego, Nov 16, 2018.

1. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Just picked up this Starcaster by Fender Precision bass. It's a 2004 model and looks like it must have just hid in a closet. I looked all over the internet and never, ever found a picture of this particular model. The wiki on this says:
    Bass Guitars
    Bass guitars under the Starcaster name are infrequently found; one is model no. 284800108 Fender Starcaster J-Bass guitar, based on the Fender Jazz Bass (Amazon.com, 12-Nov-2009). The Precision Bass model is much less frequently found. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, I believe it! It's an Indonesia-made instrument and was probably made alongside the Squier P Basses, since everything but the headstock look the same. Plugged it in and it plays and sounds very good, like a P Bass should. Even the strings have lots of zing left in them. Plastic still on the pickguard. It does have some fret sprout, maybe because the humidity where I live has been in the single-digit percentages?
    Another trippy thing is the Metallic Black finish. I know this color was offered on the Squier "Standard" Precision Basses with the PJ routing, but this one is just single routing.
    I had plans of selling the body and utilizing the neck for a "Katana-ish" project, but now that it's in my hands, I really don't wanna part out. It looks almost brand new, except for a slight scuff here and there. Probably sell it as-is. I very well may play it out one night before that, so the gear snobs can laugh. LOL.
    Allrighty, step right up and watch the Freak Show! The headstock on an age-old and time-tested P-Shaped body does kinda gimme the willies, for some odd reason.... It just ain't right, I say. Oh, well.....Other companies did it, right?

Attached Files:

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    pretty rare luckily

covermego likes this.
  3. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I remember seeing these on the shelves of Best Buy and Target.

covermego likes this.
  4. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Yeah, me too. Wiki said something about the black metallic ones (at least the guitars) were from Sam's Club. So yeah, this bass probably came from Wally World's big brother
    There has to be someone that'll give me a couple thou for it, right? I mean, it is rare............