1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Steinberger Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thud Staff, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thud Staff

Thud Staff Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    NBD! Newburgh Model. Lovingly "relic-ed" by its previous owner. This thing sounds great!

Here's the story (I know...audible groan form audience...) So, last week I swung by my local pawn haunt, and there is this Steinberger hap-hazardly sitting on guitar stand in the corner. It's been there at least a year, but I paid it no attention the last time I was there 6 months ago. I picked it up onwhim, saw the damage on it and thought "they want waaaay too much for a bass that's this damaged" (see pics).

I plugged it in, played a few notes, and got hooked by the evenness, of the notes, the balanced tone, and wonderful ergonomics. I spent about an hour playing tunes and runs (and annoying everyone with my 'listen to me practice in public' session).

I guess this comes to no surprise to Steinberger fans/owners, but probably still perplexing to any out there 'could care less'.... I had always wanted a "real" Steinberger (Geddy/Andy West obsession) but could never find one in my price range - this one is tempting...can I get them bargained down? Can I hide it under the bed? Can I live up to the hype that a 'headless bass player should be competent enough to play that boat paddle?" I restrained myself, thinking of the fiscal repercussions I may incur....oh, the agony! That was just the beginning of my sleepless nights.

Well, I GAS-ed over it for a week. Just could not get it out my mind. Can I sell a kidney? Should I stop eating? Is there really dark matter inside a black hole? I digress...and digest, for that matter. That's another thread.

I really enjoy headless basses. That's me, not everyone, or very few as I can tell. In the 80's I had my share of Hohner/Cort/huh? clones... I had a Gibson/MusicYo XQ4 (correct?) back in 2007, played on some Status basses (very nice!), and built 4 or 5 Moses Graphite headless basses for myself. My last headless was my only bass for about 10 years. Then, I went through a 'cleansing point' in my life and sold all my equipment. up until a 1-1/2 years ago, had NO bass, no amp, no juice left. However, like any addiction...I mean, healthy outlet, I started to miss playing and bought a American Standard P-Bass about 3 months ago. You know, meat and potatoes, fits in any mix (that any unsuspecting band would allow me to be a part of...) Love the Precision, but as Allen Holdsworth says, 'once you go headless, you won't go back!' He also says kidney pie is good...so, not all quotes are good ones...

As you can see there are quite a few 'love taps' in the end of the neck and the body. Will be looking into repairing those. Knobs are different, looks like the pots were changed at some point, play wear all over the face and pickups. The frets are in fantastic shape, as is the logo. Super happy about those 2 things. Thankfully, the neck super straight as well.

So, long story long....I went in, plunked down my money and....need to unload an American Standard Precision. She's light: 8lb 6 oz. Should have that listed shortly.

Enjoy the pics attached. I'm a long 'stroller/lurker', but finally took the plunge and became a member recently. First time post, so would love to hear any feedback and super-fun-fair-positive, trophy-like comments, just because I started a post...yay!

Attached Files:

Bob_Ross and 2cooltoolz like this.
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Whoa, that chunk taken out of the neck end would concern me...but welcome to the Club!

3. Thud Staff

Thud Staff Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    Yep, me too. I think that why I got a pretty good deal (in my mind). However, the tuning is really stable. Been playing on it for a couple hours, not a change at all.

Will pull the headpiece off in a bit and investigate. Pretty sure I can perform some plastic-resin surgery in this old Hollywood Starlet...

Bob_Ross likes this.
  4. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Should you ever decide to restore it, Jeff Babicz (yes, he of the Full Contact bridge) over at HeadlessUSA seems to be the person to use. Probably quite spendy, but you'd be 110% sure it'd be done right.