1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Stingray content inside

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awakefie, Jul 5, 2014.

1. The other day (actually about two weeks ago) I was at Guitar Center playing MIA Fenders and neck-through Schecters. I had never considered Music Man basses, not sure why, just never tried them. I picked up a StingRay 5 and plugged it into the same MarkBass rig I use and fell in love.

Needless to say I bought it and now the honeymoon is on. The pictures don't do it justice (crappy lighting and a camera phone). It is blue with black accents.

It plays like a dream. I have had it to practice once or twice and it cuts through the mix beautifully. Growl when I need it and boom when I don't.

I'm searching my mind as to why I have never tried Music Man's before and can't think of anything (but perhaps price). Either way, I'm glad I did this time. It is a great instrument.

StingRay1. StingRay2.

2. I bought the Stingray S.U.B bass as a backup for a tour and I absolutely fell in love with it, plays way better than the price tag! I was the same way about Music Mans though... never considered them until i just played one and enjoyed it one day! Yours is a beaut, enjoy

3. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5

Apr 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Been a fan of Stingrays for a while now, but it's been about three years since I unloaded my last one. However... I'm expecting my next one to be delivered in less than two days. Needless to say, I am stoked!

'Growl' is absolutely the best word to describe the tone. Sounds great live and recorded.

huckleberry1 likes this.
  4. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    don't know how I lived without one...

5. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    As a keyboard player, I like to play with bass players using a Stingray. I can hear clearly each and every notes even in a bad monitor mix.

Naturally, i fell in love with an SBMM (edit) Ray35. I like to play all kind of basses but I'll never sell this one.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Geri O likes this.
  6. I've just got back into Rays as well. I'm a Status-Graphite player through and through, but have had a couple of EBMM basses in the past. I previously had a natural 3eq piezo bridge Stingray and a Stingray 5 for a short time about five years ago. I'm now playing a brand new 2eq Ray which cuts through the mix like a scythe. Loving it again, with plans for either a Big Al or a Stingray Classic. Hmmm...

7. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    Did you mean the SBMM Ray35?

Musicman Bongo club #175

8. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Well, Status does offer a graphite neck for Stingrays...
    My two five strings are Stingray inspired, not the real deal, but the neck will fit any genuine Stingray.

Status family.

9. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    Yeah guys! Stingray tone is really something else ! 2 ago weeks ago I picked up 2 sbmm basses , a ray 34 ca and ray 35 , I am in love with both , they just fit right in my hands , great setup out of the box! And are very very very close to the ebmm , it's big brother .. I'm sure if one did a blindfold test you would be pretty surprised ... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404735868.733760. here's my ray 35
    My 2c

Tbone76 likes this.
  10. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Chiming in yet again about my go-to instrument, my 98 Stingray H 5-string. Awesome instrument! Don't know why I never got one before this year, I've always had my eye on them. And they play oh so nice! 2014-03-15 10.31.21.

11. RayMan34

RayMan34

Jan 3, 2014
    I have a Ray34 in Honeyburst. My first 'serious' bass. Compared to my cheapy beginner Ibanez it's a world apart. I love it.

Geri O likes this.
  12. RayMan34

RayMan34

Jan 3, 2014
    Heres mine. Taken the day I go it:

It now has D'Addario chrome flatwounds on it and a super low action :D

4u2rOab.

Tbone76 likes this.
  13. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Yes!

14. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I agree : there is not much difference between SBMM Ray and EBMM Stingray. Less than 5% IMO.

mattpbass likes this.
  15. That looks really nice - I had the SBMM Ray 34 when they first came out. I only sold it to fund a piezo bridge-equipped 3eq natural Stingray. The Ray 34 was a really nice playing and sounding bass for the money, too.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1405364516.029688.

16. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I've had my Stingray 4 since March and I don't know how I lived without it! It has, in a very short time, become my #1

17. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I just picked up my first MM Stingray last Friday, and I'm extremely happy about it. I just found out that the bass is still playable with the battery removed. The only working control is the volume, and the output is noticeably lower, but the passive tone sounds sweet, too!

18. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    Totally!! They are very very close , like a classic vibe and mex fender sorta vibe , sbmm are really frikkin great!!