1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Stingray Goodness Inside!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Well, it's not actually a new bass day, I got this beauty back in early February and have just been too busy having fun playing it to post about it! So new bass month I guess.

Without further adieu, here's what she looks like:

I'd been saving up for a new bass for a while and I went to Nashville prepared to blow some cash. Went to every music store and played just about everything in the city that was for sale (under 3K). I played every Fender I saw, several Laklands, Mike Lulls, a Geoff Gould (the new Modulus) bass that was fantastic, but just not my cup of tea.

If you had told me that I would fall in love with a plain old Stingray HH I would not have believed you. I've said pretty regularly that I prefer the 2-band EQ, however, I don't know if my ears have changed or my tastes have changed, but the 3-band is absolutely killin it.

Found this baby at Guitar Center. Now, I often knock GC but I have to admit, I got excellent customer service at the Nashville store and they had no idea if I was a buyer or just window shopping. Very impressed with that store.

The neck on this bass is flippin AMAZING. It feels similar to my Xotic jazz, but honestly I prefer the MM. The rosewood used on the board is the finest piece of wood I think I've ever seen in my life. My cell phone camera does not do it justice.

As for tone, this thing just oozes it. I quickly threw together some sound samples if you'd like to check them out:

Both Pickups

Neck Pickup only (I was surprised with the nice rich p-bass quality tone)

Rear Pickup (think Schwarzejazz)

And just because it's a Stingray, I did a little slap for you

I'm loving it with the roundwounds, but picked up some D'Addario Chromes today. I'm betting those will sound killer as well.

Next week I'm expecting to receive a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes preamp that I can't wait to hear the Stingray through!

Oren Hudson, petch, Tbone76 and 7 others like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Doesn't look or sound plain old to me.
    I just bought a Sterling Ray 34 (just about my limit, price wise) and put on LaBella Copper Tapewounds. It sounds great.
    You just might like chromes on your Stingray.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    phillipkregg likes this.
  3. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN

I hear you. Most basses are normally out of my price range too, but I spent some time saving and decided to go all out on this. Played a few Ray34s too and they are great basses. There actually was a Stingray with tapewounds on it that I played and I thought it sounded really nice. Too many strings, not enough basses!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    jd56hawk likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Get a chance to weigh it?
    I've yet to weigh mine but I've seen them as light as 9lbs 3oz and as heavy as 10lbs 13oz on the Sweetwater site.
    Mine feels pretty heavy but I don't mind a heavy bass.

5. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I had GC weigh it for me before I bought it. It's right at 10 lbs.

Originally I was looking for a lighter bass, but pretty much every instrument I've owned has been about 10 lbs and honestly after playing it I was sold regardless of weight.

Twangster101 likes this.