NBD! Stingray HH SLO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strost, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    So this one was a bit out of the blue. I noticed Rocket Music (in my town) had some great prices on a couple of NOS Stingrays (one H and one HH) so I went to check them out. I really dug the sound of the HH but the chunky neck bothered me (I'm a Jazz guy). When I got home I checked TB and lo and behold there was an HH with a SLO neck (like a jazz) for sale in the classifieds. Plus the color combo was exactly what I wanted (black and maple with a matching HS as a bonus).

The rest is history.

I've always wanted a Music Man but always looked at the classics (love those gloss heavily figured necks!). But I have to say the HH does the trick for me. I wanted something versatile that I could play anywhere for any type of music (but truth be told, I do wish it had a gloss neck).

Haven't had much time with it but so far I love it.

(ps - someone should buy those basses at Rocket. Both are awesome and the prices are great:
    Music Man Basses?

Pics of mine!
    Front.jpg e3b44928-df4e-448a-81af-8f8a67381041.jpg

2. Whoah! Nice one dude!

strost likes this.
  3. I had a single H in the past. I found everything about the bass was fantastic, except the tone. I recently tried an HH (they are a white whale in my parts) and was blown away by the tones I could get out of it. Great find, you got exactly what you want, in an incredibly versatile package.

great score.

Tbone76 and strost like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There's a black and maple club around here somewhere. They would let you into the VIP lounge with that thing.

Treb, Helix and strost like this.
  5. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Congratulations! I'm firmly in the HH 'ray camp, no idea why but I think this model is overlooked by a lot of people. That neck pickup adds so much versatility!

Tbone76, osonu and strost like this.
  6. Nice bass! I love my HH SLO Special. My favourite neck out of any bass I've played, and the different tones from the double humbuckers is fantastic.

7. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    Love it! Hoping this exact model becomes available in a lefty at some point.

8. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    Man, I can't stop looking at it.

strost likes this.
  9. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Played it at band practice tonight. Awesome. I think I like 4th position best.

Actually had to turn my amp up louder than when I play my passive G&L JB. That was a bit surprising.

Neck is awesome. Very similar to my JB. Like a jazz but thicker front to back.

10. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Quick terminology question. Is the bridge pup soloed position 1 or 5? And what is the order, Bridge, inners, all, outers, neck?

Thanks!

11. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Found it.
    Bridge, outer, all, inner, neck.

But I still don't know which position is "1"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Tbone76 likes this.
  12. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Beautiful!

13. This should help. Position 1 is the traditional Stingray position. I tend to use that or position 4.

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congratulations! looks great! glad you like it! :thumbsup:

15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    This is your bass of a lifetime. a keeper. Not only a beautiful bass, but Music Man's will cure your GAS. I love my Sterlings mainly for the small, smooth neck like your Sting Ray has. This will be your all-time go-to bass, trust me.

16. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Nice bass :rolleyes:

17. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    nice one. though i'd prefer a black/maple bass without a matching headstock.

18. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Very similar to what I'd like some day. Congrats!

19. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've also got an HH SLO and it's just an amazing bass. The neck is perfect.

A few friends that play 'Rays have told me that the 2nd Pup gets in the way of slapping, and another just didn't care for the other sounds as much as the single H, so no need for the 2nd.

20. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    cfd_stingray_hh_3eq.jpg

Tbone76 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021