1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: SUB Ray4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbone76, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    So I stopped in to my local GC to peruse their basses, and I ended up coming home with this:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382395783.779750.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382395816.982747.
    GC is currently offering 15% off if you use the preferred player card, so it cost me $265 after tax. It's got a nice growly tone to it, and I was able to set it up quickly to my preference. I don't know how it sounds compared to an American 'ray, but I love its tone. I did have to lower the pup a bit to keep my amp from clipping, but that's not a big deal. Here she is with her sister:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382396119.876872.
    Happy times!

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I tried one of these at my local GC a few weeks back, tried all 4 of the MM's they had there, including a very pricy American, and found this one to be the best sounding and looking! If I ever want a MM I'd buy one of these, even if money was no object.

Congrats!

3. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Sweet! Never played a SUB ray before but I'm sure its awesome! As you can see by my avatar I love them 'rays!

4. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    The construction is solid, it doesn't seem to be too heavy, and it setup really easily. For the $ you can't go wrong. Maybe I'll start saving my pennies and get a mm down the road, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to play this one live. It really sounds nice. Definitely different than my P-bass. 2 great sounding basses! Now I just need a jazz to complete my collection.
    And a hollowbody.
    And a.......

5. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I played the exact same model the other day at my local GC. I was blown away. Congrats on the purchase.

6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Off the rack, I thought those things were set up 10x better than the Squiers.

7. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    Nice score they do play & sound great
    hey look what I just got!
    Detroit-BassPlayers-2013088_zps2af59548.

8. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse Guest

Jun 5, 2009
    I own a black on black one and I have to say, it's one of the best basses I've ever owned.
    Have fun man!

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have the mint green one and love it. You cant beat it for the price. I paid 254 for mine when musicians friend had a sale. Its super burpy and mean sounding. It gets better after a pickup swap. I found the stock pickup lacking treble. a guitarfetish mm plus is a great cheap replacement.

10. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I found the overall quality to be excellent. I used to have a ray34ca (mint/maple) that was built and setup great, and it sounded huge. I never got used to the slab body though, so I returned it. Otherwise I would still have it. The Sterling line in general seems to be very high quality, regardless of price. I've noodled around on a few different models at my local stores, and they all seem to be of the same quality. I'll see how mine holds up over the next few months, though.

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Grats! Those SUBs are great basses, more so at that price. Nice catch!

12. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    My Ray 34 NAT is coming in tomorrow. The anticipation is killing me. Awesome looking P-Bass you have there also.

13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    i believe that is one of if not the most attractive bass finishes on the market today. just gorgeous. the only thing keeping me from these are the necks, im a little leery of satin necks, just doesnt sit well with my hands. congrats on your new bass, rock on!

14. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    It's too bad that they discontinued the walnut satin color in this line unless you play a 5er. It's a classy finish. The good news is there seems to be a fair few still for sale. I may go with a tort pg, but I don't know yet. It may look too dark. I took the pg off to see how it looked, but it's not for me.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382454020.506584.

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I dunno about tort on brown. I bet white or creme would look good on there. Creme would be like coffee. COFFEE!!!

16. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY

I never gave white a thought, as I usually don't care for white pg's (not always, but most times), but cream colored, now there's an idea! Time to search the interwebs a bit. What about an aged pearloid, even?

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice! Got mine almost a year ago! It's been modified with a full EMG setup. I also adjusted the pickup down almost flush to the body! Great playing bass. Very easy to setup for straight neck and low low action!

000_0013.

18. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    If you could invisibly fix those screw holes I think it would look great without the guard.

19. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I think that looks amazing w/o the guard. I's say stick some stain or something in those holes to fix it or maybe get a clear guard.

20. +1. That is definitely screaming for a clear guard on it.