1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD... Suped up sleeper Kay with removable neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by unbrokenchain, Oct 27, 2018.

1. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Picked this up earlier in the week, can't put it down! It's my second Kay, have been playing a '69 for the last year+ that needs help, but couldn't take the downtime without the bass to have it repaired despite having a great bass luthier in town. So I was finally able to get one from Condino, I think he said it's a '45 (serial 14072, back me up Steven Ayres?) but it's been basically rebuilt... top re-arched, bass bar reinforced, new neck and tailblock among other internal repairs, and the neck is a new piece of wood with carbon fiber reinforcement and a Kay scroll grafted on. And yes, the neck is removable via two large bolts (metal threaded inserts in the neck heel, bolts go through the neck block from inside), access to them is through a magnetic door access panel (which is pretty friggin cool for a lot of other reasons too). It's rocking my world, props to James for top-notch work and a good deal on a bass that's absolutely perfect for my needs. Played two shows with it so far, it's like it plays itself and I can just watch, that easy. Sound is huge.

I'll take some more photos next time I remove the neck, but here are some pics of the bass, notice the difference in neck thickness and overstand height compared with my '69. Night and day, the best feeling bass I've played.

IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0381.JPG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Jon Mush, J_Bass, Joshua and 4 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

great looking piece! gotta' like the ones that play themselves! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

unbrokenchain likes this.