1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD, suprising find! (not quite vintage fender)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drunkenDAYlewis, May 21, 2016.

1. We all know the story, go to the music store for strings (or somthing boring), then you try a few things, then you accidentally fall in love.

Well me and a couple of friends met for a beer yesterday afternoon and in the same strip mall as the pub I spotted a guitar shop, being that all three of us play (casually or otherwise) we decided to poke our heads in befor we ate.

(Obviously) I went strait for the basses, not expecting to find anything as this store usually has around ten basses and on average six of them are beginner models and two are really really really expensive.
    I picked up a rare mid range bass and noodled, it was a Godin five string, decent I might add.
    My girlfriend joked at this point that she hadn't got me a birthday present.
    I put the butter scotch coloured Godin back with haste as I didn't want her to think this was a needed piece for my collection.

I decided to try another on for fun and as I looked at the row of basses I spotted (this one) a used fender p-bass in lake placid blue, made in Mexico, in really nice condition and at a bargin of $350 CAD with a case (it was "on sale". Intrigued I grabbed it and began to noodle, this thing played like butter, low action and no fret buzz, I exclaimed in delight how nice it played. Seeming to good to be true I flipped it around and looked at every detail looking for some huge flaw.
    Nothing. Strait neck, only a couple dings or scratches and a beautifully conditioned rosewood fretboard, I was baffled not only that someone owned this beauty and for some reason got rid of it but also the price, playability and condition.

While I enjoyed it, we were all hungry so we left to go eat and I tryed to forget that lovely blue monster.
    I'm a jazz bass guy and I have enough basses anyway.
    My girlfriend mentioned it seemed like a really good deal and she might buy it for herself, I told her she should but to know that I would be super jealous and sad if I saw it collect dust in the corner of her living room. After our meal we all go around the shops and casually wander for a while.
    On our way home we pass the guitar store again, she grabs my hand and we head back in.
    She buys it but not for herself for me, I'm blown away, it's the nicest gift I've ever received. (Side note, does anyone know a good florist?)

When I get home the fun begins, set ups, screw drives, a good cleaning and I change the knobs (it had statocaster knobs and I by chance had a set of chrome one laying around) than I decide to look at the serial number.

I knew this bass was older but I was thinking around 2005, a quick search on google told me the serial number was from 1992-1993 that blew my mind it's almost as old as I am, that instantly made the bass 3X as cool in my books and double impressed at the condition of the thing! 23 years old and plays great and looks stunning!
    And the best part is (like a baseball glove) it's broken in!
    I might end up replacing the scratch plate as the current on has a little crack on it but I couldn't be happier!

Well that's my (long winded) story TalkBass, hope you enjoyed

What do you guys and gals think;
    Should I have kept the strat knobs on it?
    What colour pick guard should I go with on a lake placid blue bass?
    How do other people like thier "not quite vintage fenders?"

image.
    New knobs, it's nice I had a set kicking around. image.
    image.
    A previous owner carved 9405 into the neck plate, I'm sure there's a story there. image. image.
    Licensed by Schaller, I've never seen that before. image.
    Old knobs. image.

fender68, GregC, 96tbird and 44 others like this.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Those Schallers look like replacements. That era Fender had really good product in all three tiers... MIA,MIJ, MIM.

Although you should spring for a set of flat topped knurled knobs for it to look right. ;)

3. I thought I might go totally off the wall and put a black pick guard and jazz bass knobs on it.
    Still haven't decided.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That bass and the girlfriend are keepers. I hate the strat knobs on basses so I think changing them out for the knurled knobs is a good thing. It looks better. Congrats on such a good find.

GregC, TinIndian, Ductapeman and 8 others like this.
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Perfect the way it is.

6. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You'd better buy her more than flowers, dude! ;)

GregC, R Upsomegrub, bdplaid and 8 others like this.
  7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Those tuners were stock right from day 1 for the first few years, and all were stamped "Licensed by Schaller". I had several early 90s MIMs that had them.

8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Very nice!!!

Starting with beers was a great idea! It weakened your resolve against getting anything, and it amped up her determination to get you something.

A perfect pairing!!!

Forget flowers - a romantic dinner at a fine restaurant is a good start.

P.S. Keep those new knobs.

9. Hmm that's interesting they did that. OT Do you know when they stopped doing that?

10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Plus 1 :thumbsup:

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Dinners and flowers are a nice start, but for something like that, a gift that is both personal and permanent (i.e.: not subject to the ravages of digestion or decay) would be in order. If it were me, I'd go with something wearable. (No, I'm not suggestion a wedding ring! I have no idea if either of you are ready for that.) For example, I know my wife really digs olive-greens/rusty-reds for colors and spiral patterns. If I find something for her that has one or more of these elements, it's a fair bet it'll be a winner.

As far as the pickguard goes, I'm thinking something "minty" for it. My personal default runs towards black guards, but I do like how a mint-green guard plays off nicely with blue body…think "Squier James Johnston Jazz". :thumbsup:

EDIT: This 'For Sale' thread has some pretty decent pics of what I'm talking about. And no, I'm not the seller nor have any affiliation with him.

0301078502_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  12. It's cool how people are so concerned that I'm only going to get her flowers, yes I'm going to do somthing nice for her (although I have yet to figure out what) and it will be a lot bigger than flowers!
    Thanks for you're concern fellas, I promise she's getting somthing awesome and personal!

13. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    I'd say go black with the guard, but then I'm only really a fan of those kinds of body colours with black guards (and block inlay bound maple necks, but I doubt you're up for that).

Blue bass/black guard/cream p/up cover. That's a sexy combo right there.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I was dating this chick whose birthday was two days before mine. I bought her dinner and flowers; two days later, she gave me a guitar. I felt like an idiot, but she said the only reason I was an idiot was because I let it bother me. My point is that you shouldn't feel like you have to overdo it. It's not a contest. It is simply two human beings sharing together in each other's happiness for the brief amount of time that we are on this planet.

15. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I'm guessing by '95? I had a '94 that had them, then some later ones like '96 and '98 that didn't.

drunkenDAYlewis likes this.
  16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Not surprising. Some companies switch their supply-train from one manufacturer to another, then switch again a few years later. Sometimes it's out of "chasing the best price" and others it's due to sudden and/or imminent need.

17. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I'm guessing that it was bought new in May 1994

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    jamro217 likes this.
  18. Nice find :). Congrats, to make it more classy than it already is, change the pguard to a bright white pearl. (that's what I would do)

RedVee and TyBo like this.
  19. kopio

kopio Supporting Member

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    9405 are the last 4 digits of my wife's cell phone number.....and no.....you can't have the rest!

Marc61 and Fxpmusic like this.
  20. Ninevolt

Ninevolt

Nov 26, 2015
    +1 on the way it is in those pics. The crack in the PG only adds character.

"So you say you just wanted to go out and buy some strings, instead you fall in love with a bass"
    "Thump down on it!"
    "Thump down on it!"