1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD (SX)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dabbler, Dec 5, 2018.

1. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I got the last vintage white Ursa 4 PJ. Here it is with my other vintage white SXes

IMGP3407a.

Clearly the SX factories have differing opinions on Vintage White.

Quality was typical SX, and of course it needed a setup and strings. I also shielded it and modded it, t little. I put a series/parallal mod on the P pup AND a series/parallel mod on the 2 pups together.

Although the body is a Jaguar shape, the placement on the current batch of SX Ursa 4 PJs puts the neck P much closer to the neck than a P or Jag normally does. Here it is next to my Squier VM Jag for comparision:

IMGP3409a.

Part of me wishes I had bought one of the JJ models that had the pups in a normal location, but because of the higher neck pup location and my mods, this bass is its own thing.

It plays well, the neck pup in parallel does a reasonable J pup approximation. I can cover a fair amount of tonal ground with this thing.

I like it!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    tindrum and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Nice looking bass. :thumbsup:

It looks like both pickups are moved up in the direction of the neck.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Actually, I meant to add that it looks like the bridge J pup is in the 60s position. My other vintage whites have bridge pups closer to the 70s position.

Slater likes this.
  4. Fret board just looks longer extra frets and pickups and control plate moved closer to neck

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Not sure what you are saying here. The fretboard actually IS longer, with an extra fret. And the pups ARE closer to the neck, as you can see by their distance from the bridge. Both basses are 34" scale length.

6. +1

7. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Looks like Olympic white