1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD T-20. Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H2okie, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    image. image. Just picked up '82 T-20 and a '91 Fury. So far so good on both.

Goatrope, gfaulkner, lewink and 19 others like this.
  2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Congrats....great basses both.

lewink likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A comparison would make a great YouTube video! Congratulations!

4. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks. Haven't changed strings yet. Just set-up / action and intonation. Initially the T-20 seems to have more treble / brightness in tone adjustability. both are pretty cool. I'm A/B comparing them to a '75 p. They are respectable in comparison. T20 seems to have more tone "range". Fury and p are pretty close. Won't really know until I try them in the mix. Still seem to be an absolute bargain

5. Nice,congrats!

6. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    image. This pick guard is actually tan or cream colored. It's got "Made in USA" engraved in bridge plate. And case seems never to have had cloth lining. It's dark brown. All my other peavey cases are black?? Wonder if that's correct? Serial number indicates '82. But case candy and manual appears to have hand written 2-17-84? Maybe purchase date of new old stock?

7. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Cool

I think the T20 cases just had foam iirc

8. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Congrats! A couple of nice basses there!

lewink likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Years ago, I could have picked up a fretless Super Ferrite Fury for $120. That was maybe 1990, and I still regret not buying it!:rollno:

10. I used to own a Fury, very quality bass. I think you'll be happy with the duo :bassist:

11. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Would really need to get common new strings on all three and this '75 p has a BA-II and Not completely sure pups are original. So comparisons may not be that meaningful. Necks on these peaveys are more jazz like than the fender p. IMHO they are pretty respectable.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Neck on my T-20 is 44mm wide at the nut so early models were definitely not jazz like :D Same goes for my 1st gen Fury, later 2 Furys are 38mm so fit the jazz description.

Everybody should have some Peavey in their life. Congratulations on being one of us :thumbsup:

SirMjac28 and H2okie like this.
  13. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    The Super Ferrite is a different animal to the split-P pup for sure. The SF is a more aggressive and clean with a full range, I've had good success with flats. The split-P, as you say, very close to a Fender P but wound a little hotter in my exp.

SirMjac28 and H2okie like this.
  14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Love that Fury. Congrats!

15. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    You're right about the necks. The T-20 is a bit wider than the Fury. And the body is also a bit "longer" ... the '91 Fury is like a P-body with J-neck. The T-20 is sort of it's own deal.

16. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I concur with your observation ... very similar observation with these two Peaveys. I don't notice a "hotter" difference between the '91 Fury and the '75 P ... but I'm thinking this Fender may have non-original pups based on the BA bridge mod. If anything the Fury sounds "cleaner" if that makes sense? But again the age/type of strings is probably a bigger deal in that I haven't dropped the $coin to change them yet.

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Definitely a nice score! Peavey makes some really nice instruments. I especially like those T-20s. (Love the integrated thumb rest in the pickup ring. I'm surprised that never caught on with more makers. It makes so much sense.) Whoever referred to the T-20s as being their own thing was spot on the sugar. They sound great with a warm set of nickel rounds IMO. Although I heard one recently that was strung with 3025 GHS Precision Flats (45-65-75-95) that sounded incredible. I'm going to have to look into that set of strings a little more when I get a chance. They have got to be the lightest gauged flat set out there. They're a little like Chromes when it comes to sound, but not quite as bright. Interesting string choice for an interesting bass.

But either way, congratulations on your two new basses. Play them well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

lewink, H2okie and SirMjac28 like this.
  18. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Man ... I never thought about flats on one of these??? I have flats on a hag swede for that sort of sound. I may give it a try.

19. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    I use Chromes on mine...takes a little of the bite of the top but still retains that aggressive presence of the SF pup. I've had great compliments on the tone from other bass players especially.

20. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    VERY nice! :bassist: