NBD: TB2000--The Best Metal for Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4SG, Jul 20, 2018.

1. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    I've always been intrigued by Travis Bean instruments. They're just not like anything else. I've been considering buying one for a while now and have noticed that the prices keep rising. (This isn't a surprise as just over 1000 were made between 1974-1979.) I saw a good looking example on Reverb recently and pulled the trigger.

It's hard to describe this bass, my TB2000 #462. I've got a collection of several other basses by different makers and this one doesn't sound anything like any others. The sustain is incredible. It's surprisingly versatile, too--sounds great with a variety of styles. It weighs in at 11.2 lbs., so I won't be bringing this beast to 3-4 hour gigs, but I will definitely be playing out with it. Too good-looking and massive sounding to leave at home. Kind of a cool back story to this particular instrument, too, if anyone's interested. Meanwhile, here are yer pics, from the original listing:

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.57.14 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.57.58 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.57.38 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.57.26 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.56.27 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.56.48 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.57.03 PM.jpg

...and here's one of my son, with that oh-yes-you-will-be-mine look he sometimes gets when I buy new gear:

IMG_5146.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    That’s a beautiful bass. Congrats!
    I’ve always been in love with Travis Beans- if I weren’t next in line for an Obstructures, I’d have most likely picked one of these up last month.

4 Strings Good likes this.
  3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Also yes please share the back story on this— I’m fully interested! :bassist:

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Owned a TB2000 when I started playing during my “anything but a Fender” days. Plus I'm a Stones fan, which made me aware of the brand.

It was heavy but hung comfortably. Can't remember the tone and that doesn’t matter cause my bass amplification curve was at it's beginning as well. Love to try one with my current rigs.

Congrats and enjoy that rare bird!

4 Strings Good and cataract like this.
  5. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Shortscale bass or very tall son?

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A bassist in one of the first bands I was in had a TB similar to your new bass. I always wonder where it ended up since I now play bass.

7. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    Full scale. He's about 6'1". A short scale TB2000 would be a very rare find indeed as there were only about 12 ever made, several of which were owned by the diminutive Bill Wyman (serial nos. 749, 892, 893, 941 and 942, if the Bean site info is accurate).

cataract likes this.
  8. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    Back story: This very same bass was listed for sale here on TB a few years ago. The TB'er who put it up mentioned that there might be a slight issue with the neck, which could obviously be a major problem as the TB2000's aluminum neck is not adjustable. The bass didn't sell, and there were no further posts about it. The musician who listed it is no longer active on the site but was identifiable by his avatar as a BL down in San Diego. I found him via his band's website and he turned out to be a very friendly and informative guy. In email exchanges with him I learned that he was the bass's second owner. The original owner was Roger Capps, bassist for Pat Benatar's band. (No evidence that the bass was ever used for any Benatar recordings.) Mr. San Diego and Capps are old friends, and he traded some cabinets for the Bean about 30 years ago. He played it for about 5 years and "put it under the bed for 25 years." Recently, he traded it back to Capps for some other gear, and posited that Capps decided to sell it. It was put up on Chicago Music Exchange via Reverb--that's why my pictures are so pro. After some back and forth with CME I was satisfied that the neck was not going to be a problem.

Now, I've been playing bass for a while but it's really only the past couple of years that I've become very active as a musician again (empty nester). I've built up a nice little collection of basses including several Precisions, regular and fretless Jazz basses, a lovely Ric 4003 Fireglo and 10-12 others. However, with the exception of the Ric, which I bought used for about $1300, I've never paid more than $1K for a bass. My original bass is a '77 USA Precision that I bought as a teenager. It's probably worth over a grand but I bought it for $400 on 48th St. NYC back in the day. Even a custom Precision (NBD: Precisely!) I had made was less than $1K. The Bean was over $3K and I was buying it unseen and unplayed. But what the hell! As I said in the original post, prices are always rising. I figured if I didn't like it it wouldn't lose its value. After the sticker shock I have to say I'm thrilled with the bass.

It was nice to connect with an early owner and I'm still hoping to get in touch with Mr. Capps, the original owner. Growing up on Long Island, NY, Pat Benatar was a beloved local hero. So, an expensive (for me) but totally worth it bass with some interesting provenance. Very happy with this Bean and, as you can see on my son's face, it will be in the family for years to come.

Mark76 and cataract like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021