1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: The Anti-TB Bass, 1970 Gibson EB-0L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by br1qbat, Mar 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Actually got this last Friday, but finally had a chance to jam with the band last night. 1970 Gibson EB-0L in walnut finish.

It's like antimatter to TB:
    Neckdive? Yep
    All low-end 'mud': Yep
    One trick pony? You betcha
    Gibson? Yep
    Tort? Nope
    Will it Jaco? Hard no.
    Can you slap on it? Sure, I guess...

Ha ha. I will say it's a lightweight 8ish lbs so it doesn't check that off on the poopielist.

I love it personally. The neck is especially nice.1.5" at the nut and probably no more than 1.7" at the heel, with a deep U shape that is surprisingly comfy. It is the 0L meaning its a longscale neck. Only 19 frets which is a little odd. Doesn't neckdive thaaat bad honestly. Less than my parts P which is a heavy sucka.

That pickup is like Godzilla. Doesn't matter what you do to your amp, speakers, pedals, Godzilla is still there. Lol. It is certainly not quiet, not subtle, not 'punchy' and absolutely positively will never be clanky. It's 100% prime beef all day.

I certainly get why a lot of players pass on the EB series in general and the EB-0 in particular. Not the world's most versatile bass. The tone knob is a bit of a sick joke, going from woofy to truly subwoofy. It does suit me fine though. Certainly have to have the right band/sound to make it work.

Thankfully I play loud doomy rock music in C standard tuning in a 'power trio' format, guitarist doesn't do too much fuzz, gets his gain from the amps, etc -- so I get to fill a lot of space. And fill space this does!

With my Blackhawk Amps Mithrandir Octave Fuzz pedal, since it has a clean blend, it lets me and in some fizz/trebly tones that fills out the spectrum a little more.

If one was fighting for space with several guitars, horns, whatever, I can see why one would pass on an EB-0 as it needs room in the mix for anything approaching note definition to be detectable. Otherwise it'll sound like a subwoofer buzzing along.
    View attachment 3733710

barrybass33, ajkula66 and 12BitSlab like this.
  2. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Nice Find!!!

wheres-the-beef-6342597.png
    Well, at least we don't have to ask this question anymore, because you've got it.
    I love my SG as well, or shall I say, "Well Done".

3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Pictures or...:D

The neck profile on '67-72 EB-0/3/L basses is something absolutely outstanding IMO, and can be addictive. I find *anything* else difficult to play nowadays.

The key to the cleaner sound on these is lowering the volume pot to 6.5-7, where this beast actually becomes recordable, but still keeps its trademark round warmth.

Play it loud and proud, and in good health!

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I love Gibson basses, great find - Rock it!