NBD: the elder!! Vintage Japan content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Camarillo, Oct 31, 2021.

1. I got it several weeks ago, but I waited to post until it was restored in perfect conditions (by my trusted luthier).
    I found in late august this beautiful Kawai F2B. Never heard about it, bus I was intrigued with the look.
    I made some researches, even here on TB, and the interest raised.
    It's been a year or so I'm selling stuff to buy vintage japanese basses. I got 2 Ibanez, from 81 and 84.
    This guy is from 1979!
    Long story short, in august I was on vacation, but the seller, a really nice guy, lives in my town. We made a deal to meet in september.
    The bass was aesthetically in good conditions, but the electronics did not, and it's the only active version. Plus, the guy defretted it, something like 10 years ago. Strings seemed to be from that age.
    But I was already in love with it anyway, even if I didn't really wanted a fretless. The guy (the original owner of the instrument since 1981, as I said, a really nice person) wanted to leave it in good hands, and felt my appreciation. So he dropped the price a bit, because of the repairs it needed and I got it.
    The luthier put new frets on it, I asked for the smallest he had (after reading an article about Sklar's mandolin frets). And he fixed the electronics of course. Fresh strings, brass bridge cleaning, new nut, and here it is, stunning beautiful.
    Woods are amazing, I love the size and shape of the neck. Tonal possibilities seems to be endless. I'm not a big fun of active eq and switches, but I will pass over my
    idiosyncrasy to ply this guy. I'm experimenting to find a couple of configurations I like and go on with those. On my little practice amp it sounds very slap oriented, with scooped mids and a lot of highs. But the tone controls have a huge range and can tame that aspect. I have to try it with bigger cabinets to judge the low end, that seems a bit weak, but I'm not worried about that. I think a big speaker, the eq on my mark bass head and my trusted BBE Sonic Stomp will do the job.
    Now pics.

Attached Files:

2. WG Plum

WG Plum Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Very cool.

BrentSimons, P. Aaron and Camarillo like this.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I remember these, very nice basses. Well done saving it!

4. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    Nice! Love the aged bridge.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Yeah, that one's special. You can't always tell from a picture, but with this bass...that one's special.

Camarillo and Justinian like this.
  6. Artman

Artman a.k.a. Eddy Garcia Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Man! I remember those as if it was yesterday! My big brother used to call that bass "The working man's Alembic".
    Great basses, not just for the money, but just great basses!
    And, you've done a great job with the restoration. Congratulations! Have fun!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  7. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    Love those Kawai’s. Very cool basses.

Low8, DJ Bebop and Camarillo like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'll bet! the bass looks beautiful, and i'm glad that it feels good to play it --- congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Camarillo likes this.
  9. I like this definition!

leftybass54, Outbush and Artman like this.
  10. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Very, very cool bass. I'd love to bump into something like this.

Agree all the way with the "poor man's Alembic" analogy.

Have a great time with it!

Koog

leftybass54, Camarillo and Artman like this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Super, super cool.

12. Cool bridge with the coffin shaped sides. And yes, it does look like an Alembic.

leftybass54 and Camarillo like this.
  13. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Congrats. Very cool bass and story. Love those hidden gems.

leftybass54 and Camarillo like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Wow!

15. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    Nice!! These are cool, thanks for saving it. :)

Camarillo likes this.
  16. I think it was indeed an hidden gem when I found it. It’s the only one I ever saw on the Italian most important website for buying and selling instruments, our Reverb equivalent. Here on TB I found several specimens, but in Italy seems to be pretty rare!

Artman likes this.
  17. That is a beautiful bass. I would be tempted to install Alembic electronics, if possible.

Artman and Camarillo like this.
  18. I’ve never tried an Alembic. That could be an (expensive maybe?) option. My luthier was pleased with the original pickups. He said they are “something different”.

woodyng2, JMarkD and Artman like this.
  19. Were these made by Matsumoku? Looks like very good quality.

Camarillo likes this.
  20. It is as it looks, very good quality.
    I don't know if it was made in Matsumoku. I didn't find that info anywhere yet.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022