1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD --- the Glarry Bass Club! ha!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRA, Oct 14, 2019.

best bass for metal is wood

Poll closed Nov 4, 2019.
  1. yes

23.1%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. burlywood

38.5%
  4. i see what you're doing here...

15.4%
  5. ...but i don't care

23.1%
  6. it's all good...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. ...until it's not...

7.7%
  8. which is the same as carrots

23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Will do! Just ordered a fretless neck and some reverse vintage tuning machines. :) So much fun for cheap!!

JRA likes this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

This made me chuckle:
    They sell Bass cases that look decent with a 'Glarry' name plate
    for more than the cost of some of their basses :)
    $82 free shipping
    Not too Shabby!
    g17000156_4_800_800.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  3. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Lol!:laugh:

B-Mac likes this.
  4. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Exploring the internet for some good jazz pickups for my Glarry as I wasn’t too thrilled with the output. I saw a pickup swap that turned disastrous when enlarging the pickup route the luthier found nothing under the veneer. :eek: So I went back to basics. Lowering the Black nylons:whistle: and raising the pickups. Wow a different animal was present!! Way better presence. I then, in keeping with my cheap is all I can afford.. I ran it through a Behringer BDI 21 (the poorman’s sans amp) and double Wow (Wow)!! :thumbsup: The bang for buck is with this one Master!:p

B-Mac likes this.
  5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I love that logo!:thumbsup::laugh: Complete with a serial number and a fine sayin’ :laugh: In my eyes that’s a beautiful bass at any price!:thumbsup:

JRA likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

thanks, EatS1stBassist . the serial number is my wife's b-day. the saying was born of my general take on Ps --- i don't hate 'em, but they aren't my favorite. that said: i know i'll have fun with it one way or the other...i enjoy them all!

7. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Nice!:thumbsup:

JRA likes this.
  8. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Your work has inspired me. I ordered a fretless neck. It’s been a while since I’ve played fretless.

JRA likes this.
  9. JRA

:D --- :thumbsup:

they're addictive...and tons of fun! which fretless neck/version did you order? thanks.

10. JRA

for the few of you who have an interest in this project: i forgot to include a pic of the back of the piece (i don't know how to edit that post with the pics of the completed ax :) ). anyway, here's the back:
    20191108_120204b.

B-Mac and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Beautiful job!:thumbsup:

B-Mac and JRA like this.
  12. JRA

thanks, man! it was fun to do. i'll get around to tweaking it here and there and it should be a fine player.

but what neck did you order? thanks.

13. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    06F9407A-5002-4E8E-89C4-131A608A6C9B.

B-Mac and JRA like this.
  14. JRA

way cool! i looked at that one, too --- i almost ordered it but i chickened out thinking the inlays would mess my 'visual' up...but i was really, really tempted.

good for you! i can't wait to hear/read how it goes for you and to see it take shape! congrats on your neck choice, it's a beauty! :thumbsup:

15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Thanks JRA! I wanted to do something different. :) When I play fretless I usually just close my eyes! Lol!:laugh: On another note I got my Glarry Jazz Bass dialed. Raised the pickups lowered the action and wow!! I want to paint the headstock. (Or sand and clear coat) I need something that matches the natural body finish well. On the issue of these having big necks, they do. That said, it’s the most comfortable large neck. My hands and fingers are challenged. Lol! (Small and Arthritic):( However, for me, this neck is very easy to play. The La Bella Nylons are my favorite string. Whites on the yellow and Black on the Blue. The jazz bass has D’ADDARIO
    Black tapes. A bit stiffer (not by much) than the La Bellas.

B-Mac and JRA like this.
  16. JRA

:thumbsup:

i would not hesitate to paint --- or sand for clear coat. either way: 'make it yours' and enjoy. life's too short and these pieces are too cheap not to modify until you get what you want! ;)

re: the original glarry neck: i could have kept it, thinned it a little and played the :poop: out of it. they're fine necks! i just could not have considered it a "#1" with all the chunkiness. the maple neck i used is actually fatter than what i normally play, but with the 1.5" at-the-nut J specs = it's easier for me to abide. in my old age: i'm more open to many things, but alas, more 'set' about others.

i'm glad the neck is of no issue for you. but i'll look forward to seeing an ax with the new one you ordered! :thumbsup:

Wisebass and EatS1stBassist like this.
  17. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Since the headstock was way to Gumby shaped I had to round it off a little. So I ended up painting entire headstock front to back. I’ll 82786A44-2151-4F73-A322-0DBEC44313AC. E748B56E-A88B-418A-A30A-5C193754A6C1. 27504A00-1735-4E6E-A06B-A7F9D7177A6F. 45AF7F5B-39D3-4FC9-94F0-80D97A1097C3. live with it for now:rollno: Work in progress. :whistle: Rustoleum Satin Bronze Metallic.

B-Mac and JRA like this.
  18. JRA

:thumbsup:

i think it looks great! clear coat(s)?

19. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal

20. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Satin Bronze but looks like a copper/gold 3B0487AF-2FB2-4A9E-A920-141B3F6F295D. 6DE322D8-A714-47BD-98A4-D9545737D3DB.

JRA and B-Mac like this.