1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - The MurderStang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Nov 10, 2019.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've had some short-scale GAS building. I bought a Ric a while ago and kinda liked the shorter scale. Then I started looking for a 30” bass. The new G&L had my interest until I saw the $1,699 price tag. Then I noticed GC had a limited edition MIM Mustang in all black for $749. Turns out MF was selling them for $599, so I rolled into GC today and played one, then asked for a price match. Boom. NIB NBD.

Not my favorite sounding bass, but not bad at all. Definitely more of a “traditional” voice vs. my other more modern basses. Quite fun to play. It does need a proper setup. The strings and electronics are pretty bright, particularly with the tone knob all the way up, but there’s plenty of adjustment range to the knob. I’m probably going to swap the pickups out for something like a Geezer PJ set.

I do have some nerve damage that makes my left hand reach limited, and this bass makes playing the first position much easier. It has already opened up a few new areas of the fretboard for me. Hoping this will transfer to my longer scale basses down the road.

Overall, I’m satisfied.

(Yes, that’s a Mesa guitar tube combo I’m currently plugged into)
    BEF7F703-9B0D-4E82-AF4F-212FFA67946C.

Edit - Sounds better through my DI cab sim rig. Not a big surprise. Still a bit bright but manageable. Not sure I’m “missing” any lows.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Beauteous! :thumbsup:

3. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Wanted to get this sound.
    41ECF86F-40E6-45CD-8047-0E838BE0009C.
    Got it.

4. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    Oh so you're on smoko.

That bass is cute and evil.

5. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

<blacked-out-short-scale-fist-bump>
    E408A45D-2ADB-411C-9865-2AB9BA3D3806.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Dig it!!

-robert

monsterthompson likes this.
  7. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Murder 'Dem!

8. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I like it!:woot:

9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    If I’m always on smoko, am I ever on smoko?

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  10. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Finding I like this bass best going into my Dunwich Wizard > DSM Omni Cab Sim Deluxe > Empress Echo > Mixer & PA.

I didn’t think I was much of a J player (having had a J before) but I’m finding the J setting far more useful than I expected. I’m pleasantly surprised by this bass.

Any suggestions on PJ pickups for swapping on these? I find I frequently like Duncan pickups, including my Steve Harris P in my standard scale bass. Not sure what J I would pair it with (open to suggestions here). Duncan does have a Quarter Pounder PJ set. The EMG Geezer comes as a PJ set. Those are my likely candidates.

Monterey Bay-ss and Zoobiedood like this.
  11. Black with matching headstock really looks great.
    I also like the full-size P and J pickups for easy upgrades.
    Easily the best looking Mustang bass I've ever seen.

My first instrument was a 1974 Mustang guitar in sunburst, so I'll always pay attention to what's going on in the 24" & 30" Fenders.

12. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    The duncan qp pj set is great, but they won’t necessarily change the fundamental character of the bass. I have them in a fretless P and they sound 100% amazing in there but I also put the same set in a short scale Jag a while back where they made very little difference, just made things a little louder. I sold that bass almost as soon as I got it, didn’t gel with it at all, despite the pickup swap.

13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    As usual for Fender no lefty version........ :rollno:

Timmah and monsterthompson like this.
  14. Well, there went my raging [schoolboy slang for "male arousal," rhymes with "loaner."].

Nice score. Love shorties. Bonus points for Chats content.

monsterthompson and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  15. So leave him alone.

monsterthompson and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  16. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Interesting... I put a set of Aggies in mine... had a similar result... met the same outcome (sold shortly thereafter)...

BA29C2B2-F9D0-495F-8800-B7E25582133C.

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

a black bass! a very cool looking ax. glad your SS GAS has been relieved --- congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

18. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I have two P/J Mustangs. I put a set of DiMarzio DP126 in one, and on the other I changed strings to flat wound chromes.
    I like the sound of both of them much better than when they were stock.
    Strings are a quicker and cheaper way to go.

About the Jag SS - I put a D/P 122 in the P spot, routed the J spot for a Mustang pickup, and put a 3 way kill switch in one of them.
    I think it made a fundamental difference in the sound, but obviously it's not a drop-in, un-doable mod.
    I think they sound OK stock too though.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  19. My first guitar was an early sixties Mustang in Daphne blue. Wish I had kept it. Last July I snagged this beauty. So much fun to play!
    DFAE352A-1340-4787-AF16-4DEFC12AE77E.

20. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Congrats! Very cool bass. Now, get that sticker off the pickguard :cool: