1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!! The Red Ric has surfaced!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hdracer, Apr 16, 2010.

1. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    IT CAME!!!! :hyper:
    Some of you may remember this bass for sale last week. It was kind of a odd thread and a lot of people had a lot of questions about it that did not get answered in the thread. JonathanD did not answer any questions in the thread, but when I PM'ed him he got back to me with a phone # to call him at. I am totally new to Ric's and just asked the questions that others in the thread asked. He openly answered all my questions, I looked at all of his good feedback and went for it. I had a good feeling about it & Jonathan seemed like a stand up guy. I put my trust in the TB community and my gamble paid off. As soon as it got here I burned rubber over to Willie's American Guitars (the only Ric dealer & service center in MN) to have checked out and appraised (they were shocked at what I got it for). It can use a little TLC but it is solid & sounds great. I want to thank Gibenbackerbass for answering a bunch of questions I had about Ric's and what to look out for. I have wanted a Ric for a long time & when I saw this one it screamed at me BUY ME!! I even had a dream about it! When I strapped it on and plugged it in, it was like nothing I have ever felt before. I have some nice basses, but this is something else. Now I know why Ric owners feel the way they do about them :bassist:. Sorry about the bad photos but the battery's were dead in my camera & I had to use my phone. Jonathan took some great ones for the thread he made
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647245

I (as others) thought the photos were ripped but he told me that that was the bass & he shot them in a white box.
    Thanks Jonathan, I will leave you good feedback. If he is selling anything that you like, jump on it, he sells good stuff at great prices.

4526104929_f0c3e8f1fd_o.

4526104911_3c200f5104_o.

4526104943_2b69318348_o.

2. Congrats!! Very nice indeed and a terrific bass to have in one's collection! :)

3. very nice

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    way cool. congrats

5. That is a great price.

What kind of TLC does it need?

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It needs a good cleaning, the pickguard screws are not correct, it is missing the mute screws, & the case needs a handle. otherwise it ROCKS!!

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That was just one more reason I wanted it! LOL
    I am planning on taking it over to this witch friend of mine and have her do a "thing" on it LOL

8. Funny thing. A few months back I was looking for a Red Rick and for some reason there were a string of them being sold on e-bay so I actually had my pick of the Red Ricks. I got one at a good price (at least well below what I was willing to pay for one) and I've been happy as a clam with it. Congrats on getting one - they are very groovy basses!

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sweet Ric, enjoy it.

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Do you got a Deathwish? Seriously those things while said to be sweet @$$ basses you know they bring nothing but, misery to their owners. That being said you better hope your witch freind actually does something to cure/counter that bad mojo and you better hope you don't piss it off.

Honestly I like those things they look cool and the superstition (If you want to call it that) of them is cooler though the idea of things going wrong like on this site http://theredrickenbacker.com/ isn't that appealing to me.

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I had read everything on that site and laughed. Some one started that and copied the James Dean Spyder myth. The only thing is, is that 90% of the James Dean story it true and can be verified. That site is not verifiable. Fun story though.

12. VERY little TLC, and it does indeed rock!

Please enjoy your Ric, love it for what it is, accept it despite what it is not. Please don't go Ric Bi-Polar like so many do on this site. When you start to recognize its unique limitations and idiosyncrancies, just love your way through them and always strive to get the most from this awesome iconic bass.

That is all, thank you.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That is what I plan to do. I have my Fenders, and use my Gibson that way, it has its sound and I don't try and make it what it is not. That is why I have the assortment that I do. They all have their place, frettless Jazz, fretted Jazz, Dano, Peavey Cirrus, Gibson SG & now my Ric. All that is left on my GAS list is a T Bird.

14. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I had an 4003S-5 just like that, wish I'd have kept it.

15. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    True it's mostly unverifiable but, still I'm not man enough to even pick one up if someone offered me a million basses. So you have my respect myth or not I'm still skeptical. I believe in ghosts, so I guess call me gullible but, still that dude disappered and that's enough to verify those stories for me.

BTW I thought Rics sound great for anything who says they aren't get for anything. I've heard a local metal band use one with a little overdrive through a ampeg that thing rocked! Great gig too.

16. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    whatever you do... don't ever let it taste your blood. i'd play that thing wearing gloves.

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    WOW, I cut my finger on the broken handle in my haste to get the case open to see it. When I picked it up a few drops got on the neck. I wiped it off right away. It'll be ok