1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: the search is over.....for now

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SodaCity bass, Aug 22, 2012.

1. SodaCity bass

SodaCity bass Bartolini Artist, MTD Artist, LaBella Artist Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Well, after a month of luthier visits, opinions and some negotiating, I brought home my new upright after inspection and setup. She's a fully carved gamba mystery bass, but after a few inspections its believed to be Bulgarian or Czech. Age is unknown, but the luthier said that it looks to be at least a few decades old based on construction and wood. She sounds great, but this is my first gamba round back as I'm partial to violin corners and flat back. That and she's a 3/4 and I'm a 7/8 guy lol. Here's a quick pic I took of her at her new home. More to come! The back and sides are lightly flamed and the grain on top is also very nice.
    20120822_114530.
    20120822_121253.
    20120822_121309.

2. Nice classic shape. Congratulations.

3. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    thank you sir.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Pretty! Congrats and enjoy!

5. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    I sure will! First thing to do is ditch these belcantos for something along the lines of spirocores

6. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    It looks great, andI don't think you'll miss those violin corners :)

7. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    I think I'm going use to them lol. It does have great lines

8. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    I must correct something from my original post. It's either Czech or Hungarian....not Bulgarian.

9. saw the classifieds...oh well, the search is back on.

10. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    That's life. I'm going to try different strings here soon so that may sway my decision lol

11. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Beautiful, congrats! You give it a name yet :D

12. SodaCity bass

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Thanks! I'm glad i decided to keep her. As for names, I'm really bad with naming basses or anything for that matter lol. Hopefully something with come to me