1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Thompson Hybrid Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ColdEye, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ColdEye

ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    So after a while of reading, using my friend's instrument and looking for a teacher locally (one of my deciding factors is if I can find someone to teach me), I finally went ahead and got an upright. My budget is not high so I tried (well my friend was the one playing) around stuff locally (craigslist and driving up to LA). Found nothing that I like so I tried ordering online. Tried the closest one first which is String Emporium. Was considering driving there for a mini trip but I decided against it. Ordering was pretty easy and explanations for what strings, what set up were easy to understand for a beginner like me. So I got, played with it a bit (mostly plucking) and I had my first lesson yesterday. The lessons were an eye opener and I am very eager to return for the following lessons. He liked that bass, but had to deepen the bridge slot on the E string tho because if I pluck too hard it slips. So far I am really hooked. Didnt know using a bow was that much fun (but very loud, cant practice at night).

SdHuQV7.

Cygn0Ha.

nqmq5eC.

Jsn, Rugaar, Lee Moses and 2 others like this.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nice looking bass. Enjoy!

lowendrachel likes this.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Nice bass--congrats, and welcome to the DB world!

4. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    This is beautiful !!
    Are you still enjoying your Thompson?
    I'm looking to get my first upright, have checked out the Thompsons, the price seems too good to be true.
    Plus I'm concerned about the shipping.
    Did you experience any issues with that?
    Any input or information is appreciated.
    Robert

5. ColdEye

ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Hey Robert, I am still enjoying it. I have since messed with the adjustable bridge and tried a bunch of strings, but the set up was so nice it managed to accommodate the string changes, except some slight filing of the slots when I changed to gut strings. My only negative is the rubber foot always keeps unscrewing. It takes less than 5 seconds to fix. The shipping was awesome. If i remember correctly shipped on a Thursday and got it Saturday. It helps a lot if you are close to an airport. You check it right there and then when you get it in the airport and if there is damage you report it. Packaging for mine was very nice. Plus I remember you have a choice of any strings from their catalog. Best to give them a call. Prices do seem to be too good to be true, but I think in this day and age just because they are made in China does not always equate to being junk.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  6. jlmorgan84

jlmorgan84 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Seneca, SC
    ColdEye, a little plumber's teflon tape wrapped around the threads on the endpin will fix the rubber foot coming loose. Mine used to drive me crazy, but a little tape and no problem.

7. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Thanks for the info @ColdEye .. I appreciate it.
    I'm about an hour and a half from the Atlanta airport.
    So, even though you were just beginning, at that point, you went with the hybrid instead of the laminate... How come? If I may ask

8. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Glad you like it! I recently bought a Thompson and they are very good instruments especially for the price.

9. ColdEye

ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    If i remember correctly the price difference between the all laminate and hybrid was about 600 or 700. During the month that I decided to buy it I was liquidating some of my film cameras a d I managed to sell them all. If i didn't I would have picked up the all laminate.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  10. ColdEye

ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    BTW thank you for this info. Problem solved.

jlmorgan84, Jsn and Josh Kneisel like this.