1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD!! (to me anyway) G&L Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustobassman, May 4, 2015.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    NBD on trade today! I'm still in shock it happened. It's not every day you end up trading a chinese made instrument with a gig bag for a US made instrument with a hardcase!! Umm.. yeah.. that really happened. I ended up with this... US made G&L 1505!! And behold, the obligatory crappy cell phone pics!!

20150504_163050.

20150504_163128.

20150504_163148.

20150504_163207.

It needs a little TLC, but there are no dings, no dents, no buckle rash... physically it's in solid shape. The pots are scratchy, the guy told me he hasn't played it in a few years. Also there is a little oxidation on the hardware, does anyone know what works to get that polished up? I'm still trying to figure out the controls and want to get it dated. Is there a site that has that info? This is my first G&L. It's so much lighter than my Fenders i thought it was a toy. Stoked so far!!

2. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Holy Hot Pickup Batman! This thing has some serious beef behind it. Are the tone controls boost only? I'm not getting much help from the G&L website.

3. Abominasian

Abominasian

Jan 30, 2015
    New Jersey
    Congrats!... she looks like a lot of fun.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Congrats on the new bass. Regarding the controls, the middle control is a passive treble cut like your standard tone control. The knob closest to the bridge is a passive bass cut, so both bass and treble on full are "flat". I'm not sure which switch is which, but one should be a series/parallel switch and the other should be an active/passive switch.

5. That bass is so powerful it can pull teeth out. Here are controls for L2000, just ignore the neck pickup and first switch, everything else is the same.

ASATbass_L2000_L2500_contro_zpstjpouain.

basslifter and audreycashin like this.
  6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

The active/passive switch is the 3-way...passive/active/active with treble boost.

I have never heard that the tone controls are "passive cut"....that might be why when I got my L2500, I didn't really like the fact that it had like no bass boost in the preamp whatsoever....I opted to change the preamp and am much happier now...
    The original preamp in my '97 (still have it) is Rev 1.0.

7. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Here's where it gets interesting... Mine does NOT have a 3 way switch for the passive/active. It's only passive or active from what i can tell. Even the diagram above shows there to be a 3 way switch by the bridge, but mine only has the 2 positions.

OK, that sounds more like what I've got going on. I had to completely re-EQ my amp because this thing has so much power behind it.

8. eastcoasteddie

Looking at the G&L site, it seems that the L1505 does not have the "treble boost" mode for the preamp...just on/off. So a 2-way toggle is correct.

9. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Awesome!

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    gustobassman likes this.
  11. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Ok then, I'm not crazy! The preamp is Rev 1.1 as well, whatever that means.

So am i nuts or does the neck seem to be off a little bit? It could just be a neck pocket adjustment, but the B string seems awfully far from the fretboard edge, while the G string is super close to the fretboard edge.

20150505_093628.

12. eastcoasteddie

I see from your first pic that the strings over the pickup pole pieces are spot-on. You can try adjusting the neck if the pocket clearance allows for adjustment.

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That looks pretty minor. You might try loosening the neck bolts and twisting the headstock end gently, but unless the G string is falling off the fingerboard when you play, it's probably fine as-is. Is the string spacing even and regular at the nut?

14. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Yup. I was thinking the same thing. I just got back from my local guy and he said it was fine. He was as shocked as I was when I told him the details of the trade. Time for new strings and rehearsal this afternoon!

15. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Use some Nevr-Dul waddling polish. Can find in auto parts stores. Will clean up oxidation.

16. Looks nice - congrats! Just out of curiosity; what was the bass you traded?

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, it's on/off, but when on it actually has more treble boost than an L-2000 in treble boost mode, and I believe at a higher frequency too. As a result, some players swap out the relevant resistor on the pre for one of higher value, which reduces treble boost in active mode. I did this on an L-1500 I used to have, and liked the result. Not sure why there's so much treble boost in active mode, but maybe it was to emulate a StingRay with its treble boosted, which you can then cut with the regular passive tone control.

Anyway, congrats on the 1505. It looks awesome, and will rock. After I got my 1500, I regretted not going with a 1505 because I could have used a fiver, and I've read the 1505's sometimes have a fuller sound presumably due to the bigger neck. Don't know, but I'm over it now b/c with my M-2500 I can just pan toward the bridge pickup and come very close to a 150x's tone.

18. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I just got a steal on your L1505's cousin:

G&L2.

eastcoasteddie and gustobassman like this.
  19. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Well, it was one of the newer, now-discontinued Fender Modern Player Jazz V in hard-to-find satin white. Only 200 were produced in that model/finish worldwide. At least that's what the guy at Fender told me. I already own one of those so it was more or less a backup.