NBD: Tony Franklin Fretless in the house--can you say Mwah?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theRocco, Nov 4, 2011.

1. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    It's black, it's fretless, it's my new Tony Franklin Fretless Precision Bass, just arrived today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really nice unlined fretless Ebony fingerboard, great sounding P-Bass pickup and nice to have the bridge jazz pickup (Tony Franklin special design).

I think it's the only Fender fretless currently in production with an un-lined fingerboard. The Ebony was a big plus for me, as well as the bridge J pickup.

The bass does the "mwah" thing really well on the bridge pickup, nice Jaco tones! (OK, Mick Karn, Percy Jones tones, too!). The P-Bass pickup gets traditional P-Bass tones just like a fretted bass. I will get myself a great Wal Bass one day, but for now this Fender is nicer than I thought--I'm happy! It's used, a 2009 model, and in purrfect shape, not hardly a mark on it, cleaner than a new one hanging in music store.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Nice! I have something like this and love it, you'll love yours!

3. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Good score! If I was looking for a fretless bass these would be very high in the running for me, I always liked the way they sounded and looked.

4. bass4u

bass4u Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    maryland,usa
    I've been gassing for that exact model for awhile. Congrats !!!!

5. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Wow! Sweet looking bass man. How would you say this compares to other Fender P/Js? I have yet to hear one. You have to throw some sound clips up to let us hear it if you can.

Congrats, Enjoy!

6. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    I'm really liking the 3-way blend switch on this. You can quickly go to the P bass pickup and back to a blend or just the bridge--without any fall off in volume, nice! Both pickups are loud and punchy, but not muddy. I think the P pickup is fuller sounding than my Lollar in-line pickup in my Nash 52 P-Bass. Tons of low end.

The bridge J pickup is also loud, edgy and aggressive but responds well to amp eq, tone knob, and right hand. There's still plenty of "bass" in the bridge pickup, I'm happy to say, but enough midrange for that "mwah".

Very easy bass to play! Modern C shape neck feels familiar right away. The side dots are easy to see and intonation is not a problem even for this beginner to fretless.

Weighs about 8.5 pounds and I bet 3/4 pound is the tuners. I've heard some change them to lighter ones but so far I don't think this will be a problem, the bass seems to stay put on a strap well and I don't run around as much as I use to!

Thanks folks for your comments! I'll get some clips up soon...

7. Problemchild

Problemchild

Apr 9, 2011
    DFW
    Beautiful "P", congrats !

:)

8. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I liked mine a lot but I'm an active guy so it moved on. I swapped the tuners to Hipshot Ultralights (no D-tuner) and you save exactly 0.5 lbs. In my case it made the bass not only lighter but much better balanced. I highly recommend that mod.

tf13.jpg
    tf1.jpg

9. Problemchild

Problemchild

Apr 9, 2011
    DFW
    Another beautiful "P" :hyper:

PC

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. Makes me want one! Like the sunburst too.

11. theRocco

theRocco

Jan 7, 2010
    The Expanse
    Thanks again, folks! I like the Sunburst too and it was a toss up which to get. I finally went for the black, and it was a used one to boot!

I like the way it looks, all that black including the long, ebony board, set off by the black/white edge pickguard and the Chrome knobs and strings--sexy!

PS: about the tuner change--I wonder how much if any tone loss or change happens with lighter tuners? Sometimes the extra mass at the headstock will give you more sustain and tone, at least I've experienced this with guitars (Klusons vs. Grovers).

12. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    why it's ... Radioactive

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Nice.

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've been gassing for one of these now. I REALLY like the all black look, the fact that it's a PJ, and that it's fretless.

I'll probably end up modding my MIM P into some sort of clone...

15. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Curious... what strings are you currently using? Like them?

16. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Nice

17. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Bassist for TRIPL3 THR3AT Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Very sweet! Tony is my fave fretless player, and I've been itchin'
    to have a go at one of these since they were introduced. Congrats!

18. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Me wants.... :)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021