1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - traded newer guitar for older bass - feeling better

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    took a risk on a parking lot swap for an '83 Ibanez RB620 in exchange for my beloved PRS SE Soapbar II and I'm starting to believe I made the right move after yoinking the zanky new strings in favor of the nastiest deadest EAD coils in the freezer, putting the zanky D to G then dropping the E to D aaaaaannnd wow talk about a complete 180! gone was the useless klang, suddenly it was beefy TONE! creamy tone like I always hope for, even with the treble maxed it's got a warm curve and at 0 it's all over, pure P booty heaven, but not Fender P exclusive. a unique personality full of lower wooly warmth and whumph has already elbowed into being my newest favorite, just like that... gotta love when hunches pay off in bunches. let me throw in yet another word JUICY! lol she's handling the heavier string set well, comfy too unlike the grabby cheapos that got tossed and I'm guessing the fatter G will mellow even more with age. had to file the G nut slot to accommodate. I play in drop D and this lightweight dirty blonde bomber feels / sounds virtually perfect now without much fiddling otherwise, sporting a fretboard which has plenty of edge space, no slipping off the Earth on this baby. overall, quite the lively plank, great cond., and not a dead spot for miles. the meh figured ash body may get a burst refin, but I kinda like it, feels nice.
    this only happened cos I noticed the ad mentioned a trade option and had the perfect bait (didn't want to touch the piggy bank), the saving grace being that getting another carbon copy PRS for cheap is easy but scoring a winner like this old Roadstar stud was on my wish list and the maple squareheads don't show up much. here's another moment of good luck when you shudder in horror thinking of having not scored such a killer piece.
    upload_2018-12-3_3-3-39.

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Very nice! Congrats. Old MIJ Ibanez basses in that condition are pretty hard to find these days, I would have done the swap myself without any hesitation.

Bass V likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks like a win! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Bass V likes this.