1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Tune Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kodiakblair, Jul 8, 2014.

1. 30 years back I first saw the Tune Bass Maniac reviewed in Guitarist mag, it was fretless and I was smitten.
    It was £899 if I recall right and well beyond my means.

Never forgot that Bass and never thought I'd own one. Last week I saw one up for grabs on the bay, got my timings wrong and missed the end of the auction,but it never sold.I emailed the owner and told him if he relisted it as BIN I'd buy it. Well he replied and said he was having second thoughts but would sleep on it.
    Saturday morning I was hitting BIN and today it arrived. Not the white fretless,don't even think it's Japanese but I now have a Tune.

Out the box I'm struck by how light it is and the very narrow neck.Doodle a bit then finally get home and plug it in.Then I realize this is a really refined instrument,with a huge range of sounds and every thing I do alters my sound, finger positions and differences in attack all shine through.

This is calling for a radical re-think of my technique and style.It's my first time using piezos and I've never given thought to playing softly but loud, truth is I never really gave much thought here at all. Weird feeling here of " Am I up to playing this bass". 30 minutes playing at the end of a real hard day,been fitting sound block all day and boards weigh 135lb so I'm kinda tired,might not be the best time to try a new bass.

Hope I have better vibes after a nights sleep. Anyway here it is Tune TWB-4Z Tune TBW-4Z (1).JPG

tuba_samurai likes this.
  2. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Congrats! I love narrow necks.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Nice bass! It takes a little time to get used to adjusting and dialing in your tones, but once familiar, it definitely has a unique sound. I love the feel of the neck, it's got a flatter radius than most. It is a finesse type instrument in that it's capable of of picking up every sound and how you play the strings - which can be both a boon and a curse of course.

4. Hi Max

Thanks for replying. I guess that's what got me last night, just how sensitive the bass is.I heard some beautiful sounds from it last night.
    After waiting 30 years on one I reckon I'll spend quite a bit of time with this and improve my sloppy playing some as well.

That neck is gorgeous to play.

5. natas

natas

Mar 14, 2013
    finally saw something close to this bass except:
    1.two toggle switches
    2.end of the fretboard is cut straight
    3.fret markers are offset
    anyone seen a tune like this?

Attached Files:

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sweet bass!

Man, I think that's why I love swapping gear so much. It really does allow (or perhaps even force) you to step out of your comfort zone. I love that feeling. When I first got my Fender Roscoe Beck V I almost sold it immediately. The electronics (all passive but very different) kind of took me by surprise. I hated that setup at first. Now, I am actually looking at having a custom bass made for me that incorporates many of the RBV ideas.

Enjoy the difference. Embrace it! I'm not saying you have to keep the thing forever. But even if you decide to move it on later, learn something from it first.

It sure it a good looking thing. That's for sure!