1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Ubass with TORT!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass74, Jul 22, 2018.

1. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Just got back from a trip to Kauai where my wife helped me pay for this wonderful little Islander Pako FM (by Kanelea) Bass Ukulele. I've never been a fan of tort pickguards on basses, but for the binding on this instrument, it really looks great!. And, it's fun to play as well. This is a well made instrument with lots of attention to detail and at the same price point as the most common major brand (and I got a nice deal). Flamed mahogany with nicely bookmatched parts. 20180722_101939. 20180722_101947. 20180722_102019. 20180722_102057.

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Very nice!

selowitch and pbass74 like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: nice! and i'll bet it's a lot of fun, too! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

pbass74 likes this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nice.

I like tort, but maybe not so subtle...

The morer the betterer:

Tort Tele Bass small .

Rumbledore, walldaja, PDGood and 11 others like this.
  5. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    That ubass is pretty...how is it for metal?

pbass74, rendevouz and Waltsdog like this.
  6. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    That's the most tort I've ever seen in one place!

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Me too, except for on an actual turtle/tortoise.

I'm still trying to figure out what pickguard to put on it...oh, wait... ;)

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Perhaps you'd like a bass to slip under that pickguard?

Old Blastard and Marhmol like this.
  9. Marhmol

Marhmol Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Bay Area Ca
    Hands down the coolest binding I've ever seen!

pbass74 and Old Blastard like this.
  10. Marhmol

Marhmol Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Bay Area Ca
    And in don't mean the tortacaster.
    It's cool too.

pbass74 and Old Blastard like this.
  11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I don't know how to approach this, but I might as well be straight forward just in case someone is interested in buying one. I've seen what looks like almost the exact same bass as yours from Rondomusic.com in New Hampshire for about $180, Hadean Bass Uke UKB-29 - RondoMusic.com (I almost bought one last year because of the tort binding, but I also want cutaway so I bought their walnut cutaway instead). I'm always curious why people don't say the price they paid for their instrument, I do. Do you mean the Kala U-bass that costs about $400?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Really nice bass - can you share the name of the shop that you got it from? May want to look into getting one...

13. My local store has something very similar. I played around with it for a minute and put it back because I could not believe how sticky those strings were against my plucking fingertips.

pbass74 and Wfrance3 like this.
  14. That thing is awesome looking! That binding is great!

pbass74 likes this.
  15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I played with one in a store and had the same comment. The shop owner told me that some u bass players talcum powder their strings to make them less rubbery feeling. Anyone else ever hear of that?

16. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    You bring up a good point, and I actually was hoping that the store would have some less expensive alternatives for comparison. However, as a gift, my wife wanted to contribute to the cost and I had some cash from selling another piece of gear, so I wasn't hurt too badly financially. The final assembly and finish of this bass is done in Hawaii instead of China, so I'm sure that makes a difference in the price. The out the door price including a padded gig bag was $400. Others have high recommendations for the Hadean and now Kala has several lower priced options too. I would have been happy with one of those, but my sweet wife encouraged me to go for this really nice one. And, I have to say that I have no buyer's remorse. :)

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  17. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Yes, they are sticky, especially the A and E strings. Forget about using a pick! There are other string options available now including regular round wounds. Kala uses a black string material on theirs which is supposedly less sticky. I checked with the manufacturer to make sure this neck would handle round wounds if I ever wanted to go that route and they assured me that it would be no problem. Then it would sound much like an acoustic bass with round wound strings.

18. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Ha! May have to test it with a dirt pedal.

19. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    I got it from Scotty's Music in Lihue. I actually bought a tenor ukulele from them 8 years ago. They were the only shop on the island that I could find with bass ukes. They had a couple of Kalas as well. But, they didn't have any of the less expensive ones that are on the market now. They are great people and don't pressure you to buy. I had to go away and think about it overnight before I made my decision.

20. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    There's lots of information on the Kala Ubass Megathread. Seems that the talcum powder really is a thing. Kala UBass Megathread, Part 7