1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: *UPDATED PICS and SOUND CLIP* Bacchus Handmade Burl Poplar Blue Burst Beauty!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    ***UPDATED 2/23/19*** Added new pictures in better light, and changed out the gold pickguard screws for black ones. Much cleaner. Added new sound clip too.

Another new bass day. Presenting my Bacchus Handmade Japan Series - WOODLINE517/EWC-BP'18! Picked this up from our very own @VSN_Guitars. What a great looking, playing, and sounding bass! Fit and finish is flawless. Enjoy the huge pictures and what is quickly becoming my signature sound clip.

QvKx0O0Jlqc5uXDc7Z8o2fodzBsNDgIWcPI3-c96Iq8Lspazvk7HUg6JnMdybu_dsDtCUAZ8LUdHHMMgtyc=w317-h894-no.

6qkszxqrG5N9R6iYrUCb8TjLzJxvHwO-PSt41EbQ-jKgZiDy397-PY2Qmz0KIeX2KEYWjwLJmBZKlVinofQ=w504-h894-no.

tg8_OQITMvJLcrV6Tykrp9Kis0QTT-w0tmmANH7JcW_suRWJXLeDIcwNvIXx5YDOYtEZPL-w5wPeKegWsHc=w504-h894-no.

D6Ng59aNQRslLKINxWBPzqG7AgKzOxNQMxw737elsGzEVPGx9gTnBQgHOtWfcsJ7qfAhNH_Eujlx0GHRIWc=w504-h894-no.

3XeJKeAUPlO6Vj30G8ct_SxTUZVKw0hvCaeL-MfDsg5cszzrf7VEK_s9zNre_cSXLkG0m31UuqIOmkC2wCQ=w504-h894-no.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Nice! I just picked up a Bacchus Woodline Craft Series 5 string Jazz. My second Bacchus, great basses!

Tony G likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Great bass, it’s beautiful and sounds great.

BrentSimons and Tony G like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I've been curious about this brand for a while now. Seems to be great quality at reasonable cost.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Tony G likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's just dead sexy.

Great groove and tone too!

Tony G likes this.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks Dr. Cheese!

This is the first and only Bacchus I've ever held, but it is quality all the way.

Thanks! I'll admit, the finish is what caught my eye the most, but it has such a nice smooth yet punchy tone to it that really fits well with what I do.

B-Mac likes this.
  7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Also, I'm thinking I might change out the gold screws in the pickguard and control plate for black ones. Also, I kind of wish it came with a clear pickguard to swap out, as the burst is really well done and even and would look really clean on its own.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    No one tops Bacchus when it comes to make an old design look new with so many fantastic finishes!
    I was thinking about buying the 4-string vetsion of this one awhile back.
    By the way, the trans blue pickguard is what takes it over the top.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Excellent point, and part of what caught my eye when I first saw this! But, I think it also has promise with a clear pickguard. Compare side by side:

ZPy53iklk7oRWj5FSdvnMtKqXCEvXlnffHfIDAw1EKkQpDFvrEtrZWFfskGPos6eBpAiQFCr2izIfK4bY3Q=w264-h888-no. JaCCDvT5aJmKVvYPMR1H9pfgQQqkUKSk3S-zacI5nbuse7BclHpwYcSWEsJrgaowNmH97RJDfGQQepkIWco=w250-h888-no.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Just saw one with a clear pickguard on reverb.

Tony G likes this.
  11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, it looks like they use the clear guards on the less expensive Global and Universe versions of these basses. I'm typically not a fan, but it really works for me with these basses.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Ikkir and jd56hawk like this.
  12. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    Sweet looking bass. I've heard of Bacchus before but just started looking into them the other day. They offer some solid options and price points for jazz basses.

Was ordering from VSN easy? Was this bass in stock or can they do specific orders?

Tony G likes this.
  13. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I've been eyeballing the VSN stock lists and thinking about something sweet in a jazz bass.

Col Pruse- The VSN site is guitars in stock. The one you see is the one you get. They may take orders, but they are coming from overseas, so I can't imagine they would be fast , or even built yet.

Tony G likes this.
  14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Absolutely. @VSN_Guitars was great to work with. This particular bass was in stock.

15. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Bacchus makes some great looking "classic" basses. I've never had the chance to try one, but I am often tempted to just take a chance on one.

Nice looking jazz. Traditional, but with style.

Tony G likes this.
  16. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Please don't remove that beautiful pick guard. I agree with @jd56hawk - it takes the looks of that bass over the top. Nice!

Tony G likes this.
  17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Haha, ok! I won't remove it again! :D

Rezdog and MonetBass like this.
  18. Allan Allan

Allan Allan

Mar 25, 2018
    giphy.

Tony G likes this.
  19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Hehe, I get it...blue, like the meth....;)

20. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    I kind of like it with the pickguard removed. Nice bass either way.

Tony G likes this.