1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: *UPDATED PICS and SOUND CLIP* Bacchus Handmade Burl Poplar Blue Burst Beauty!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks man. I'll probably end up just keeping the blue one on, mostly because I'm too lazy and cheap to have different pickguards cut for it. :D

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    With a quick mock up in pixlr, I definitely think it will look cleaner with black screws, so I will be getting those asap.

F70pvJjwje0CwlTlJzovIelxriCfCoKPUaUk9dZLyaOSHXUv34e9Wgdf3rmmN8J81amVS1VBDFteutj0VEQ=w266-h888-no. 3vr_ZB8msSAw0Hg4NZGSr8Fy30-ArNR9qJH72X9ULW9Ns2KLbBhZWgNackVlukIjvZ7Pn0p4TmyL9g-gjlY=w264-h888-no.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    M.R. Ogle and GlassToMouth like this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Looks like a decent bass. Shame they couldn't find wood without all the knots.

Tony G likes this.
  4. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Nice! Great finish!

Tony G likes this.
  5. plburrows

plburrows

Jan 12, 2018
    I've been circling around purchasing a Bacchus for a while. This looks absolutely perfect. Woodline looks like the sweet spot from a price/value perspective.

Tony G likes this.
  6. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Simply gorgeous. Congrats!

Tony G likes this.
  7. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Never seen anything before - looks absolute !!!

Tony G likes this.
  8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have a feeling English isn't your first language, but your comment is awesome! It really does look absolute! :D

9. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Yeah, english is my 2nd/3rd. You should check it out also without pickguard - i would, but that is on you. Who exactly made it to you. I also got my heart bass - hand made in Sugi guitars Japan.

10. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Sorry, didn't read that Bacchus as maker, now i know.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Not problem, but I'm a little lost this time. I did take the pickguard off and posted a picture on the first page a few posts back. It looks pretty cool, but the holes in the body kill it for me. I would need to get a clear pickguard made possibly. I don't know who exactly made it, but it says it was Made by Aska in Nagano, Japan. They make wonderful stuff in Japan!

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Right, sorry. Bacchus is the brand name on this bass.

13. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That looks amazing, congrats!

Never had a chance to play a Bacchus but I'm always hearing great things about them. I've got a Harry's Engineering Dragonfly that I'm in the process of buying, that I should have by next week sometime. All of these Japanese made basses should really be getting more of the limelight because they are some of the best instruments made.

Tony G likes this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I looked at none pickguard version. Looks more beautiful - with.

jd56hawk likes this.
  15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sorry, could you clarify? You like the bass with the blue pickguard on, or off?

16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    On

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ah, cool. Thanks!

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Agreed. I've had a thing for Japanese basses ever since I got my MIJ Fender 75 reissue back in the mid-late 1990's. Those Dragonfly's look really good. I can't wait to see yours!

phillipkregg likes this.
  19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Beautiful.

And I'll join the chorus saying to keep the trans blue pickguard.

But I agree with you that black pickguard screws would be a big improvement. I would actually convert the hardware to all black if possible. I'm actually a fan of gold hardware (or black & gold hardware*) in the right context but I think it clashes in this case. Small nit to pick on a gorgeous instrument. Sounds great too!

*PS - Here's my bass with black and gold hardware where I think it works well.

IMG_20180708_071104.

View attachment 3328703

Tony G likes this.
  20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Nice bass!!! Yeah, the screws will be changed to black as soon as I can. The gold screws don't bother me too much, but I think black will look better. As for the bridge, I don't mind the gold here, and it is actually a really nice bridge so I'm not sure I would replace it anyway. The gold output jack, well, I'll just leave it to match the bridge I guess! :D