1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: *UPDATED PICS and SOUND CLIP* Bacchus Handmade Burl Poplar Blue Burst Beauty!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks great either way on that piece! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

blue.

Tony G likes this.
  2. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Keep the pick guard. Black screws.

Tony G likes this.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Haha, ok, ok! Pickguard stays! Black screws, yes.

JRA likes this.
  4. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I normally can't stand gold hardware, but the black w/gold-highlites looks really great on that bass.

Tony G and Jared Lash like this.
  5. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I agree on the black screws.

And if you ever decide to sell this please ping me :D

Tony G likes this.
  6. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Tony G likes this.
  7. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I'll jump on the train and say keep the blue pickguard and change to black screws. That is most certainly a purty bass!

Tony G likes this.
  8. Have you checked the intonation on the B string?. The saddle looks a lot further forward than I would expect in relation to the others.

Tony G likes this.
  9. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Man, I'm slowly falling in love with these Bacchus basses. I'm seriously considering getting one of their headless models. Your photos and demos are pushing me one step closer to actually buying one, haha.
    Anyway, you are a lucky man! Great sounding and visually stunning!

Tony G likes this.
  10. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I dont like gold hardware either but at least it is not the tuning keys. Beautiful bass!!!!

Tony G likes this.
  11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, I would agree. I'm not usually a fan of gold hardware either. But it works for me on this bridge. It is a really nice bridge, btw. Nice and solid and smooth functioning.

If I do decide to sell it someday, you will be the first to know. ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    phillipkregg likes this.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thanks all. It is a really great looking bass. I don't typically like the idea of buying without trying, but the finish type was something I've been lusting over for some years. I also really have fond spot for Japanese made basses.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Good catch. Actually, I did have to move it back quite a bit. The pictures were taken pretty much right out of the box. It was weird. All the other strings were pretty much right on, but it was like they forgot about the B string.

Fender_Bender likes this.
  14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Black screws. Those gold screws stand out like a diamond in a goat's butt.

Tony G likes this.
  15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Black screws .:thumbsup:
    Pickguard....It would be nice to have both options .:bassist:

Tony G likes this.
  16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't know if I would put it that way. The gold isn't that bad, and the rest of the bass doesn't look like a goat's butt....:D

Black screws are a definite. Just need to find some time to stop at the local shop.

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I cannot believe all the love that pickguard is getting. Don't get me wrong, it looks good and was an excellent touch from the factory. I just think it is a shame to cover up that burst. Maybe I am biased though, all of my Jazz basses are sans-guard...

body ramp.JPG

Tony G likes this.
  18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I agree. The burst by itself looks pretty great. I may get a clear guard for it one day, or even just put the black screws in the holes with no pickguard. They will look like little burl spots in the wood anyway! :D

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    This bass is more than just a pretty finish. It really has a great tone that seems to sit just where I want it in the mix. This is the first passive jazz bass I've purchased in 20 years, and whatever mojo Bacchus is using for this particular set of pickups, it really shines. I didn't think I missed having a passive tone control on a jazz bass after all these years, but I think I did! I've been having so much fun playing this bass the last two days, but here are just a couple of comparisons (read: negatives) to my Nordy vJ5.

The Bacchus weighs just about 10.5lbs. Not the heaviest, but noticeable compared to my 9lb Nordy. Also, there is no forearm contour. I didn't actually notice this until the bass showed up. Not sure how I missed it. It does have a generous radius at that edge where I rest my forearm, but it is nothing like the amazing ergonomics of my Nordy. Also, I'm very used to having an onboard preamp with my Nordy and the rest of my basses, so it is taking me some time to get used to mixing the pickups and the tone control on the Bacchus.

I will say that I generally enjoy the closer string spacing on the Bacchus, which I think is 17.5 or 18mm, compared to the 19mm on the Nordy. I've always felt a bit quicker on basses with closer string spacing.

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Thinking more about this bass, I realize I haven't done much of a review. Just some pictures and a sound clip, but not much else. I'm probably only talking to myself at this point, but I like putting my thoughts down about these things so I can revisit down the road and remember what I did and didn't like or do with this bass.

The bass is made up of the following: ash body with a burl poplar top, maple neck with ebony fretboard. Really cool brass ring dot markers on the fretboard give them kind of a stealthy appearance.

Pickups are Bacchus Woodline single coil jazz pickups with a standard vol-vol-tone in a passive setup. The tone knob has a push/pull feature to it, that when you pull it up it does some type of boost, but only works with both pickups. When pulled up for boost, the neck volume knob becomes a master volume, and bridge volume does nothing. I didn't get any info explaining how that works or why, so I hope that is the way it is supposed to work. I find I prefer the tone of the bass with both pickups on full, but the bridge solo'd has a very decent Jaco style burp. I've been enjoying the passive tone control. The tone shaping it provides at all points are very subtle yet distinct.

The hardware is top quality. The bridge is a fantastic design. It seems really solid and well made, and operates very smoothly when adjusting intonation. The tuners are GOTOH GB11W. Not the lightest, but very smooth to operate and seem well made. I may consider changing them out for hipshot ultralights at some point. There is just the faintest amount of neck dive due to what I believe is the slightly undersized Jazz bass body, and maybe the lighter tuners could help with that.

That about wraps up this NBD thread. This is an amazing bass for (much) less than the $2000 retail. There is no way you can get a brand new MIA bass of this quality at this price unfortunately. I expect I will keep this one around for some time, as I really dig the tone. Now, off to find the right strap to manage the weight of this beast!

Edit: Also, it comes strung with Elixirs, which I've never used before. I really like them so far.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019