1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: *UPDATED PICS and SOUND CLIP* Bacchus Handmade Burl Poplar Blue Burst Beauty!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Suprisingly, there is two videos of this bass on youtube, being played by bassists far more talented than me. ;)

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    ***UPDATED 2/23/19*** Added new pictures in better light, and changed out the gold pickguard screws for black ones. Much cleaner.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Did a little more home recording with my new Bacchus. This thing is a lot of fun to play. :)

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    One last bump to share the new pictures and sound clip, and then I'll let this sink into the abyss of forgotten threads. ;)

5. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    That sounds like a series/parallel switch.

Tony G likes this.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Hmm, really? Why would that disengage the volume pot on the bridge pickup?

7. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Well, I'm not the most well-versed in electronics, but essentially, two single coil pickups wired in series work as one single pickup. Think of a P pickup; we treat it as a single pickup, but it's really two pickups wired in series.

Tony G likes this.
  8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That makes sense to me, but it doesn't really sound any different (like I would expect a Stingray5 would when using the series/parallel switch), just louder.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Glad to see he kept the transparent red pickguard.

How many basses with black pickguards, white pickguards, tort pickguards?
    Too many.
    How many basses with no pickguards?
    Again, too many.
    How many basses with trans blue or trans red pickguards?
    Exactly! Very few.
    I doubt if we see someone here buy a similar bass the rest of the year.

B-Mac, lowdownthump and Tony G like this.
  10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The new pictures show the correct bridge saddle adjustment for proper intonation. Not sure what you were going to say here.

I agree that it is very unique, but I would like to assure the good people of talkbass that this bass is more than just a pretty pickguard. ;)

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Somehow I added a quote from another thread.

As for Bacchus, I've always wanted one ever since seeing the thread about one member who sold all his Fenders and replaced them with Bacchus basses.

lowdownthump and Tony G like this.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Wow, that says a lot! As I mentioned earlier, the quality to cost ratio is impressive. I have no experience with any other Bacchus except mine, but I would say to those considering one of the handmade versions to go for it.

lowdownthump and jd56hawk like this.
  13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    It has been just over two weeks now and this bass is quickly becoming my new #1. The playability is probably the best of any bass I've ever owned. It feels effortless to play at the 18mm string spacing. The tone is so punchy and well defined. It has been a very long time since I've had a passive jazz bass wired v-v-t, and with everything on full the tone is about the closest I've ever gotten to that "tone in my head". I bought this bass without playing it, simply saw the pictures and the specs and pulled the trigger. I've done that quite a bit over the years, and sometimes it just works out. I would argue with anyone that this bass has a Sadowsky-like quality and tone, for less than half the price. Seriously, I would love to put it up against any other premium jazz bass out there just to get some hard comparisons.

I've gotten over the weight (10.5lbs) with a Gruv Gear SoloStrap Neo. I've used neotech mega bass straps for the last 10+ years, but they don't quite feel right with this bass for some reason. The SoloStrap Neo just feels perfect with this bass. It is hard to describe, but almost like it was made for it. It takes any perceived fatigue right out of wearing this 10+ pound bass. I happen to think it looks pretty cool too. ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Almost two months since I got this bass. Is the honeymoon over? Nope....;)

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The great ones make us feel like the honeymoon never ends . She is a beauty in looks and tone . I hope to get the opportunity to play one myself one day. Im guessing it feels good in the hands too.

Tony G likes this.
  16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, it feels great in the hands! That is why I can't put it down. The neck profile, fretboard radius, string spacing, etc., all combine to make it feel effortless to play, and it has tone......that tone...:D

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Burl? That's a bit if a stretch.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't know. That is what they call it. What else does burl poplar look like?

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    upload_2019-4-15_18-27-41.

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That looks like quilted poplar. ;)