1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: UPS Lost my Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikecd1, Jan 30, 2018.

1. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Should have arrived last Thursday after two days intransit from Michigan to Connecticut and kind of sensed something was up when it stopped tracking after the first day. The seller (Reverb not Ebay) told me he did not actually see them attach the label at the UPS customer center, but we both agreed nobody would be that stupid, right? After two days of investigation and passing lots of info about the bass to UPS it appears to have (maybe) been found on its way to their lost and found in Utah with no label. I always print my own labels, but that is really lame by the UPS staffed Customer Center. You'd think that would be customer counter 101, peel the label and slap it on the box! The claims rep told me that even if its found, they sometimes disappear again. Seller and I are kind of waiting to see whether it tracks or just shows up. It was shipped last tuesday and reporting missing on Thursday (1-26) so the 8th day from missing I think is Friday 2-2 when I believe they will consider paying out on a claim (fully insured), but maybe not since its "found" though I've seen no proof. Seller has contacted them like once a day and even forwarded me an email from a mgr. at the shipping location saying they found it on its way to lost and found in Utah (they have another in Chicago, but that would be too easy) and they were going to get it routed back to me. Still no tracking and they say even if it gets a new number it will cross-reference from the original number. Since I'm not the shipper, nobody tells me much at UPS except they will get back to me so I'm kind of stuck at the moment. Its a nice 2001 Sting bass which I've been looking forward to, but the longer it takes and gets banged around in the cold, the more I'm wondering if I'm going to like it if and when it arrives in whatever condition. With a complete lack of urgency on UPS part, not sure if I should hang in there or start trying to get my money back. The seller has been great so far and not their fault.

bdplaid, lowplaces and Kombo like this.
  2. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    That sucks. I hope they locate and deliver the bass shortly.
    Undamaged ofcourse..

3. Sucks - worst case for you is seller refunds your money. The seller has to try to collect from UPS if lost.

alesreaper9 and mikecd1 like this.
  4. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Hope the seller's info is right - all UPS tells me is that they're still investigating a lost package.

5. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    This all sucks so bad. Really sorry to read about this.

Mili, alesreaper9 and mikecd1 like this.
  6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact

Nov 30, 2011
    I can’t wrap my brain around dropping off a package without a label firmly affixed to it.

7. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    UPS has a service where you pay for the label and receive an email barcode. When you get to the UPS center, they scan the barcode. A label prints off and they slap it on the box. This has worked out for me in the past when my printer decided to either run out of ink without warning or simply not power on. In all cases, I watched them affix the label before leaving.

Some people don’t have a UPS account and have no other choice but to buy a label there.

Either way, that’s stinks. I hope the seller has insurance and a receipt from UPS.

mikecd1 and pudgychef like this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've had numerous basses and other items shipped by UPS with no problems but within the past two weeks, two shipments (a tremolo bar) and some tape reels were lost. Oddly enough, both were being shipped from different sellers in California. I live in Michigan and it looks like the packages were lost somewhere just before it arrrives in Lansing Michigan- I think between one stop and somewhere in Indiana if I remember correctly. Just found it strange both packages were lost in the same place. To date, they haven't located either of them.

Hope you get the bass and it arrives safely.

mikecd1 likes this.
  9. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Overall I'm really happy with UPS, but when they suck.....they SUCK! Won't waste anyones time with my horror stories.

Gaolee, mikecd1 and Herrick like this.
  10. I wonder if the bass was dropped off at UPS proper or a UPS Store.

alesreaper9 and FronTowardEnemy like this.
  11. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I don't know where in Michigan the bass was shipped from but there is a UPS facility in Wixom, Michigan and the same thing happened to me although it was not a bass.

12. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Give it a few weeks, and check in regularly with them. I had a pedal get lost literally at the local post office a few blocks from my house...

I went there nearly daily for 2-3 weeks until one day when I was starting to lose hope they finally pulled it out when I got there.

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Please update .

did-i-bring-enough.jpg

14. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I not only securely attach my own shipping labels front and back ( and covered over with lots of clear packing tape ) I also put a copy of the shipping label INSIDE the package... Can't be too careful, nowadays!

Slater, ialma, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  15. Frick. Hope they find it. :crying:

medium.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I had this happen with my vintage SVT. Shipped from CA to MA. Very large and heavy box (was very well packed at least) so kind of hard to miss. Someone at the fedex shipping center re-weighed it after it was dropped off and applied a new label with different tracking number. The original number was active and never showed the amp as having been dropped off. By the time fedex found the amp it was at my local distribution center. I asked them to hold it there and I'd come pick it up, before I could get out of my driveway a fedex truck had shown up and a small delivery guy was dragging the box to my front door. Amp was fine, but the process was total pain in the back side. Good luck with finding the bass.

mikecd1 likes this.
  17. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Ugh. I've had so many issues with lost items involving the usps I'm hesitant to buy anything anymore that is shipped via their watch.

I've had the best luck with fedex, but you always don't get to choose.

18. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    If you bought it off Reverb, it comes with shipping protect. Every bass I sold on Reverb had that. I had to buy it. Hit up Reverb and tell them it was lost.

pjbassist likes this.
  19. Straight up trade two weeks ago with a tber. I shipped ups, arrived at his door two days later. He shipped USPS, Still hasn’t arrived 13 days later. We paid the same price. I hit up the local post office, they tell me the same thing online tracking tells me “in transit” as of Jan 21. USPS lady says I can’t file for lost item until 30 days has passed with retail ground shipping. Blaaaah!

20. basshawk21

basshawk21 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Man, what an empty feeling that must be. I sure hope it shows up.
    I feel for you.

mikecd1 likes this.