1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - USA Geddy Lee Jazz (video review)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I just got my USA Geddy Lee Jazz bass. It is amazing. I posted this video review to YouTube. The sound clips come after about a minute and a half. I have to say, with the Sansamp, it gets THE Geddy sound.

Here's the video ... Enjoy. Questions, comments, etc. welcome!

2. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Thanks for doing the vid. Nice riffs too. I really dig the neck pickup sound - better than my CIJ.

PortlandBass77 and Fletz like this.
  3. Turbo Jaw

Turbo Jaw

Sep 29, 2014
    South Jersey
    Sounds and looks amazing!

Fletz likes this.
  4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Nice. The inlays in the neck look a million dollars.

Fletz likes this.
  5. Sounds great. Fender really ripped off the BAII they look almost identical except where the name is stamped is wider.

6. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    Finally!! Looks most excellent and nice playing!

Fletz likes this.
  7. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know, I'm fairly sure I played this exact bass about 2 and a half weeks back. I was in Sam Ash and wanted to try the '74 AV Jazz, but the sales man refused, continually stating that "they're both based on 70s Fenders, they're exactly the same necks", honestly one of the worst customer experiences I've ever had (there were other issues with the guy as well). HOWEVER, the bass felt really, really nice. Congrats!

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Very impressive.

Fletz likes this.
  9. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Fender bought the rights and remaining stock of Leo Quann. They own the design now.

10. Nice review. Thanks!

Fletz likes this.
  11. Weird they wont continue making them as BAII's.....I would think they would sell them aftermarket well since the used prices can now hit $100. I like how the BAII's look more but I guess they had to widen the part of it with the writing to fit signatures on them.

JakeyBran and Rocinante_x1 like this.
  12. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    they've used up the final supply on their signature models and such. They're manufacturing them still but without the badass name, just because fender believes it HAS to say fender on it.

13. Lame, well thankfully I have 2 BAII's around. I wouldnt mind if the appearance was Identical to a BAII but its not and bugs me, they can stamp whatever on it if they keep the shape the same but how they look now will just keep me after the old supplies of BAII's there are enough out there.

Rocinante_x1 likes this.
  14. Well technically, the Japanese factory still produces the Steve Harris blue signature with the BAII on it...or did that get discontinued in favour of the newer one?

15. Cool bass man!

Fletz likes this.
  16. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    The pictures I've seen of the new Steve Harris still has the badass. Not sure what they'll install in production tho

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Great vid, Fletz! And damn…that is one seriously growly Jazz bass!! :wideyed: It make's me wonder if they'll ever sell them as a standalone set of pickups. If not, well…there's always the Stratosphere. ;)

Two words, guys; Brand. Recognition. If you owned something that was mass produced, wouldn't you want your name on it?

Fletz likes this.
  18. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Happy NBD Fletz! The bass sounds great and I really liked your video review - enjoy her and get some nasty Geddy tones out of her. :bassist:

I had a similar experience last year - I was visiting NYC for the first time (we were on an educational trip with university), full of excitement that I could try out and see higher-end Fender Basses. Unfortunately, there is very little to see in Greece as of now, with the American Standards being the best you could find. What is more, I wanted to decide which would be my next Jazz, the choices being a NAV '64/'74 or a CS '64. Anyway, I run into Sam Ash and was more than happy to see all of my choices being present. I called a salesman and asked him if I could tried them - the response was something like "Are you gonna buy something, or would I just take them down and hang them back?". I replied that I wouldn't buy anything at the time and just wanted to try them out: if that could cause a problem I wouldn't insist. Luckily, he let me try the NAV '74 and the CS '64 (the NAV '64 was locked in glass case), but send another salesman to help me with amp settings and everything else from there, who too asked me which one would I buy. :sour: On a side note, both basses had dings and scratches, especially the '74's back was a mess for a new bass. I left the place with a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Fletz likes this.
  19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Curious how much that set you back...

20. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    If you are referring to me, it didn't - I was just sad with the experience, the whole "pretend to be friendly, nice and helpful until you say you are not here to buy" thing.