NBD! Used Bongo BFR many firsts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ComicBass, May 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. I was able to pick up this beautiful EBMM BFR Bongo is Honeyburst used from Chicago Music Exchange. They set it up for me before shipping it and it has a great action and neck feel. So balanced!
    It is my first USA made bass (which I'm just over the moon about)!
    It is my first EBMM bass!
    And it came with flats so it's my first time playing with flats!
    I had been lusting after the EBMM Bongo for a while now and this one was the only one my husband thought looked good so I'm glad I found it.

Unfortunately it did not come with any of the original case candy or certificate of authenticity.
    Do you think that EBMM would send me one if I contacted them?

Anyway I'm so pleased with it so far. Now for the proof! 20210509_161653.jpg 20210509_161641.jpg 20210509_161634.jpg 20210509_161602.jpg

2. Portamenti

Portamenti

Jan 2, 2021
    Schweeeeeeet!!! That one looks awesome! I love them even more without the pick guard.

no idea about your certificate - but it won’t cost to email and ask... congrats on the new axe!

3. Thanks a lot!

4. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    Wow love that color, it looks like a satin finish,,ebony fretboard? Hot looking bass ,

mjm666 and ComicBass like this.
  5. Yeah. It's a satin finish on Honduran mahogany neck and body.
    Ebony fretboard.

mjm666, Loring, mindwell and 4 others like this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    For a Bongo, that’s pretty attractive.
    Enjoy your firsts!

dralionux and ComicBass like this.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool bass. Congrats.

Kenny Chesney’s touring bass player kicked-ass on a Bongo 5’er.

Loring, Element Zero and ComicBass like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Almost too nice to play!

ComicBass likes this.
  9. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    A08522A8-17A6-4985-9C03-0B8092B0E0F3.jpeg MusicMan should be able to send ya a case, but check on Reverb first! I don’t believe they will send a certificate of authenticity. You can at least type the serial number in on their site and you’ll basically have it though.

I just scored a Bongo on trade Friday too! Mines definitely got a louder finish haha but I’m loving it so far

mjm666, Loring, Murch and 11 others like this.
  10. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

Lukasonbass likes this.
  11. Thanks! That firemist purple is intense!

Loring and Lukasonbass like this.
  12. Cory rich40

Cory rich40

Apr 10, 2021
    Is that a stingray special beside of that bongo? Is there a huge difference in the way they sound? I’ve been told they have the same pickups and 18 volt preamp

ComicBass and Lukasonbass like this.
  13. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    They do both have an 18v preamp, but the preamp is still different. For example, the bongo has a 4 band with bass, treble, low mid, high mid whereas the SR Specials have just bass, treble, mid.

14. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Congrats on the Bongo purchase! I've owned 3 Bongo's over the years but I regrettably do not have any right now. It will likely try to get one again soon though. They definitely have their own unique tone compared to a StingRay and they are probably one of the most versatile basses I've ever played. You can really get an insane amount of tones out of that bass with that preamp and the pickup blend.

mjm666, Loring, five7 and 2 others like this.
  15. Cory rich40

Cory rich40

Apr 10, 2021
    Enough of a sound difference to justify getting a bongo if you have a stingray special though?

ComicBass likes this.
  16. Cory rich40

Cory rich40

Apr 10, 2021
    Compared to my fender jazz bass, my stingray special can put that jazz bass to shame. I am highly interested in the bongo at the same time. Some folks will tell you they aren’t for everyone

17. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    That I can't answer as it really depends on what you are comfortable spending. Also, I believe all Bongo's now come with the HH pickup configuration so if you have an SR Special with just a single H, then the Bongo with HH is going to sound very different. Even an Bongo HH and SR Special HH have their pickups in slightly different positions so they will sound unique in that regard too.

ComicBass likes this.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Noticed this: 7E216D4F-AB76-4A22-8D4F-AF9046D59FE1.jpeg

19. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Yeah, I hear you. I was playing some Rush tunes last night on my SR Special and it was nailing those jazz bass tones. If you can try one out, definitely do so. I think a lot of people here on talkbass would say that they aren't for everyone simply because of the shape of the body. I think they are quite stunning, especially in person.

dkelley, ComicBass and Lukasonbass like this.
  20. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    Gorgeous. I don’t even like Bongos and I would rock that thing eight days a week. Congratulations!

mjm666, dkelley and ComicBass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021