1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Vaccaro Generator X in Seafoam!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Nov 23, 2010.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    This one is a rare one.:D

Got a great price. Both Henry Vaccaro Sr. and Jr. are friends, and HV Jr. tells me this one is one of five. What he hasn't clarified for me if he meant there were only 5 in seafoam green or there were only 5 Generator X basses ever made. I and a friend here own one each now, me in Seafoam and him in silver. We've seen one sell on Ebay in yellow, and I talked to a guy who dismantled his Gen X and gave the body away. :eek:

So, here is my new GenX. In honor of her color and the fact I got her here on the Jersey Shore, her name is Ariel. :cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56204228@N05/

Have fun, I know I am!

2. Never heard of those but I like it, kramer like headstock.

3. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Vaccaro Guitar was founded by Henry Vaccaro Sr., the major owner of Kramer from 1977 till it sold to Gibson in the 1990s. He set up Vaccaro with his son, Henry Jr.. They still held the patent on the tuning fork neck, and with the late Phil Petillo, improved on the neck and launched the guitar company.

It had mixed success, and it pretty much was dead by about 2002. The GenX style was much more rare then the X-Ray models.

Thanks for the compliment. She plays like a dream.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats! It's cool getting new stuff.

5. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    She's even prettier in the morning light...

6. neat

is it a aluminium neck?

7. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Yes, she is a Lumie.

The Vaccaro basses all had the "improved" h-beam style patented by HV and the late Phil Petillo. True to the Kramer history, but instead of having the aluminum T exposed on the back (which was always the biggest complaint by old Kramer players) they came up with an h-beam design and encased it in maple.

I have some information that the Gen X basses may be super rare, and that only five were ever made and sold.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Wild! I dig it.

9. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    That is a sweet looking bass.

10. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Vaccaro also made the Hartke XL basses. Same neck, different headstock. Same body as the Vaccaro X-Ray, different pickguard, hardware, and electronics.

11. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Thanks EH. I have an XL-4, sold an XK-5, sent my red sparkle X-Ray to a better home in NYC and now have the holy grail of lumies, the Gen X.

More info, from the people inside Vaccaro. Only one import Gen X V2 was ever produced, and never left the factory. Its in the hands of an employee. Now info says that in the entire history of Vaccaro (yea, it was short) between 5 and 20 were made total. One employee owns three, including one personally made one with soap bar pickups. Mine apparently was the ONLY one ever painted Seafoam green. So, I have a one off.

Yeah!

12. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    Larry Hartke told me the import necks were made better than the US-Made ones. I believe he was referring to the aluminum T-bar.

13. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    I'll disagree with Larry. The imports had the rosewood fingerboard and the joint where the headstock and maple neck casing meet was notoriously poorly attached and often separated. I have owned three imports (two V2s and one XK-5) and they all had the neck separation. My USA X-RAy and Gen X are much tighter, have the ebonol fingerboard, Sperzel locking tuners and slightly better nut and fret work.

That's my opinion. Larry I'm sure will challenge me on that, so I'll have to travel north to buy him a beer... ;-)

14. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    Nice bass, I always enjoy seafoam green. Shoulda named it Snooki, or The Situation. ;)

15. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Its way too pretty to be a "Snooki" and way too talented to be "the Situation".

But I like the way you think...

16. I picked up a brand new, never mounted, never played Vaccaro bass neck, perhaps the last in existence. Now I have to decide what to build, what body to make. I'm partial to pretty wood and natural finished, and I have thick bookmatched slabs of quilted maple that won't be dry for at least 2 more years because they are so thick. I do wish I could get precise photos of real Vaccaro basses to study; there could be just one more made! I assume mine is the import neck since it has a wood fingerboard. The seam between the wood and head seem fine, but of course have never experienced string tension or truss rod tension. The truss rod is loose during storage.

17. RonSound

Dec 24, 2008
    Hartke basses (aluminum neck ones) use the same body. They show up on ebay once in a while.

18. I also just bought a complete USA Vaccaro bass to use the body as a model for my "new" Vaccaro import neck. The body on the complete one has a pretty significnt dent, so I might end up making two bodies.