1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Vintage Gibson content (& ESP)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbpark, Oct 21, 2010.

1. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    This year, my father and I decided to make the 10 hour drive to the Arlington Guitar show. It's been about a year or so since I've been able to do any buying/trading of any kind, but we decided to make the trip this year and see if anything was calling my name. Considering the show was very unorganized and much lamer than I remember (much smaller vintage collection), I ended up walking out with two nice pieces.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I'll get better ones up asap.

***Updated pics in post 9***

First is a beautiful 1967 Gibson Melody Maker bass in original Pelham Blue. Dealer and I worked out a trade on a bass I've been trying to unload for a year. Massive low end on this guy!

yessir008.
    yessir009.
    yessir010.

Although this guy isn't a bass, I think it's still a fairly rare and very cool piece. Can't find anything about this specific model on the internet, so if any of you ESP guru's could help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

ESP "The Eclipse"

yessir012.

2. its quite ugly but i like it

3. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Holy 'effin crap on that color.

Need more better pics in the daylight when you get a chance.

Congrats. Papa like.

4. fantastic looking gibby!
    Those were the budget model for Gibson basses at the time I believe but fabulous basses nonetheless.
    Enjoy her! :bassist:

5. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Oh that is cool!
    Sound clips?

6. nice Gibson! there is one just like that...same color and everything...at a guitar center near me. The $3500 price tag is just a little much for me tho :(

7. Wow, that thing is rad. :bassist:

8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    On other forums we lovingly refer to your Melody Maker's pup as a "Mudbucker" - spend some quality time with that bass, you'll love it!

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Better pics:

yessiree002.
    yessiree004.
    yessiree003.
    yessiree006.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  10. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Is there a pickup under that ashtray type cover?

11. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    No pup under the cover but it makes a wonderful hand rest for pick playing.

Thank you, everyone, for the compliments!

12. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Oh snap, that color is gorgeous on an EB... never would have thought of that... thanks for the pics.

13. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    That Gibson looks amazing!!!! Congrats!

14. The cracking of the paint (or whatever that is) makes it look much cooler in my opinion
    Edit: To clear things up just in case, the lines on the paint, not the places where the paint has worn off.

15. Spleenface wants.

16. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston

Beauty. I have one in a cherry (lite metal flake) finish.
    Missing a bridge saddle screw. Impossible to find.
    Any leads even if I had to purchase entire bridge-
    deeply appreciated.

20161108_152935. screw.

Attached Files:

17. BassMike: Hipshot makes a 2-post SuperTone bridge as a drop-in replacement for the old "evertilt" bridge (which I think you have). I want to think it would be a direct replacement that would allow you to get your bass back in service while you wait on an original screw.
    2 Point SuperTone Bass Bridge > Store > Hipshot Products.

I guess it kinda depends on whether you want a "player" you can use or an all-correct "collectible".

18. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Purchased for me by my Dad when I was in high school it has sentimental value
    and dated as '67 it's a collector; and tonally it's rubbish. So given the others in
    the group to chose from it'll stay in the case 'till I can possibly get a local machine
    shop to mill a proper substitute saddle screw. Much thanks for the referral to an
    interim Hipshot substitute bridge. I don't view it as a player- just trying to get it
    period correct. Good suggestion tho. Thanks.