1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Vintage Heft

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Dec 22, 2020.

1. D1982C20-2178-4A0A-BCB1-9275E76C6003.jpeg Won an eBay auction on this one and got it a week ago. But it went into the shop the next day for a set up. Picking it up tonight. Stoked to play this through my new Acoustic 370+Peavey 215 rig.

Been a fender guy my whole life but I wanted to change things up.

For those wondering, I believe it is an 83 Peavey T-40 and it weighs in at 11.2 lbs.

tindrum, Yetiparty, tonym and 62 others like this.
  2. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Maybe 15 or so years ago I had a T-40 that I found used at a Daddy's Junky Music. It sounded enormous.

The heaviest bass I still have now is a 10.5 lb. Jazz parts bass and I'm trending away from that into lighter alternatives. The T-40 that I picked up was heavier than this Jazz - I might have actually had them both at the same time back then...

Maybe if I played exclusively sitting down with my instrument on my knee I'd still have that bass, but my shoulder issued a veto and I returned it only a couple days after I brought it home. Hopefully you can figure out how to have a blast with yours. The old US built Peaveys are all sorts of cool :thumbsup:

3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    11.2 pounds is light for a T40.

4. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    370, T40, PV 215. That probably sounds banging.

TinIndian, Bleecker, RSBBass and 2 others like this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats! Beautiful bass in that burgundy/wine red finish.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Very lucky to get such a nice color.
    Looks great!

7. I have heard that they can get up there. My guitarist also has one in his studio, late 70s model in natural and I would guess it is closer to 10 lbs even. So that is a featherweight I guess.

8. Have yet to try them all together but should within the next week or so. I will report back.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    TinIndian and deff like this.
  9. I knew I wanted this colour or the darker tobacco sunburst.

PennyroyalWe, jd56hawk and nixdad like this.
  10. Interesting and cool color.

But 11lbs? Ooof, excellent if you can handle it but I know I'm one spinal surgery past being interested in something that heavy.

Enjoy it!

nixdad and Maxfenderbass like this.
  11. The nice thing about being in a grunge band that no one listens to is that you never play sets longer than 40 min! Haha

mikecd1, TinIndian, Bleecker and 9 others like this.
  12. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Downright light for a T40. Congrats!

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  13. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Nice score, I have been eyeballing one locally... but they won’t come down from their price of $800. Yours is beautiful!

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  14. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    Noice. I have a ‘78 that weighs in at a sturdy 11.5 lbs. It’s worth twice it’s weight in tone.

TinIndian and Maxfenderbass like this.
  15. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I actually found a T40 a few years back that had to be no more than 9 lbs...even so, i cant deal with 9 lbs these days! The crazy part was it had a warped pickguard and it was marked at like $250! It was already spoken for but i couldnt believe the weight or price!

16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    The finish adds 1.2 pounds, give or take. Nice Score!!!

Bleecker and Maxfenderbass like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I like this the best, but the Sienna Burst is really nice, too.
    I've been looking at T-40s on Reverb.
    Used to be $500 or $600 for a good one and $800 or so for those ones with ambitious sellers.
    Now, I'm not seeing anything under $700 and one for $1,400!

18. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    HNBD, it’s a beaut! 11.5# though, rough. I recently picked up a T-20 that weighs in at 9.4# and it’s easily the heaviest bass I’ve owned.

19. Yah they have really gone up, I ended up getting this one for $900 CAD after shipping so not horrendous

TinIndian and jd56hawk like this.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Before I even clicked on the thread title I knew EXACTLY what kind of bass it was. :D

Of course, I didn't know it would be that nice of an example of it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021