1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - vintage P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Webtroll, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Bought it as a '63 and the pot dates are right (40th week of '63), but the neck SN# dates it from '64-65 L41XXX. There's not enough left of the stamp on the neck to guess. Machines are reverse. Now to find a proper white pickguard with the tugbar holes and an early 60s headstock decal. The refin is quite nice even up close, very pro. Among the lightest vintage Ps I've played, but I need to locate my scale to say for sure; guessing 8.5 to 9 pounds. Either way she's a peach to play and easy on the eyes! Ain't the TB classifieds grand?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to TBer mbw82 and $2200; going to use this for feedback as the original ad is gone.

2. Nice!!! Major jealousy to you .
    Are you going to refinish?

Careful who you order your decal from. I just got some crap ones

3. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My first bass, way back around '80, was an old beat up natural P bass just like this one but with a white pickguard, so since this pickguard isn't original I won't mind swapping it out. This finish is in great shape and if I needed to I could wet sand it and polish it, but I like the semi satin look it has now.

As for the decal I've checked Ebay but the only P bass decal isn't from the right era. I have a decal or 2 floating around somewhere but they're for 70s P basses, so that's a no go.

4. PM'd

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    man, that neck stamp;
    I can see 5 xx 63C if I slouch while looking at the monitor

6. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Nov 24, 2010
    Central Alberta
    I love the natural finish!

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Keep the Tort guard and skip the decal! It's awesome as is! How much $$????
    :bassist:

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    BEAUTIFUL! Has the most important parts - Neck, Body, and PU's.

If it plays anything like my 62, it's a SLAM DUNK

9. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    2200, pickguard is not original but the aluminum guard underneath it is. since the pickguard is not original i don't mind getting it replaced. the screw holes are all in the right places, but it's pretty warped (i can flatten it but if i'm going to replace it why bother). i have another tort and a white pearloid lying around, but i'm going to use either one for this bass.

the neck plays beautifully. my first P had a very distinct V and was narrow at the headstock. this one does not feel wide at all, probably somewhere between a P and a J and very round. the frets are going to get a cleaning by this weekend.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    yeah, i can see the 63 too. looks good to go!

11. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    you guys can see a lot better than i can. i can stare at it and see what you've typed, but it could just as easily read Pikachu for all i can tell.

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Nice. That bass is great as is but it would also be a great candidate for a restoration, you wouldn't have to do too much. Great score!

13. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    JohnK!?

14. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'd considered getting a decal put on and spraying the headstock face with a little laquer from an aerosol can, maybe with a hint of amber, but I'm not against having it done professionally. Aside from the decal, the pickguard, and cleaning the frets (steel wool time!) I'm not sure it needs much attention. I don't think the buttons are right; at least they don't look like the buttons from the '73 I used to have, so I'll likely put some straplocks on it. Sure they'll look out of place, but I won't have to keep an extra strap around just for this bass. I'll get a pic of the buttons later.

15. I don't see 63, I see 83 :eyebrow:

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    He has my '66 Jazz! lol

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Just remember, whatever you do to this bass will affect the value. If you spray the headstock over it's the original finish, even if it is missing the decal, it WILL reduce the value.

My 62 has a refinished neck, but the headstock is all original. when i had it appraised, that neck "overspray" had a HUGE affect on the value. Luckily my headstock has never been sprayed.

I would consult John10K though, before I did anything to it...

18. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Congrats!

19. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    nice!

looks like a good fixeruper

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the decals were on top of the finsih on fender instruments of that era, so if the neck's finish is original, i'd just install a new one on top of the existing finish.

IMO, a period correct finish on the body would actually increase your bass's value (i.e fullerplast sealer with a nitro finish of a color that was offered in '63-'64).