NBD - Vintera 60's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaggai, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    I never considered my myself a Fender bass player, but now I own 5 of them. That said, my Player Jazz bought last year is the first Jazz Bass I played, and indeed the first one I ever touched to play. So that it my only point of reference against this new bass.

20190803_172135_resized.jpg 20190803_161244_resized.jpg 20190803_172143_resized.jpg 20190803_172158_resized.jpg 20190803_172224_resized.jpg 20190803_172328_resized.jpg 20190803_172345_resized.jpg

My first look at it, I thought that the factory must have yelled at the workers to line up the bass strings with the pickup poles. The bad part about this is that there is a sizeable gap between the A and D string, shown in one of the pics. One of the good things is the vintage bridges with threaded rods instead of a single string groove. It made it easier to restore more uniform string spacing by moving the two strings inward by one thread.

Took pictures of my Player and the Vintera in regards to the neck plate (F on the Player, blank on the Vintera). Also took a picture of the tuning mechanisms, Vintera has the outrageously big tuners. Neck has a heavy gloss finish, I was worried that it would be sticky, but seems ok to move up and down on.

In regards to the sounds of the pickups, I believe that the Vintera has more growl to them, which is supposed to be the point. Whether it sounds like a real vintage Jazz, I'm not the best judge for that. I know that it does have a nice sound with the bridge pickup and the E/A strings. When comparing it to the Player, the Player just has less of the sound of the Vintera, not a lot, but it is a difference. I have yet to listen though my amp, been using the Vox headphone amplifier due to neighbors.

Neck, in regards to shape is definitely different compared to the modern C. This was one thing I noticed after playing the Vintera and then handling the Player. I think I like it, but I'll need more practice on it before I have a definite opinion one way or the other. Might be something you want to try out in person though if you don't like that particular aspect.

Build quality seems good. I don't see any flaws and the finish appears perfect, as well as the gloss job on the neck. Usual setup items did need to be done, relief, pickup and string height.

If you're interested in the gig bag, Sweetwater has a reference page here as it's no longer available: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-1522-000--fender-p-j-bass-deluxe-gig-bag. When I was looking for a price, it seemed to retail for 40 bucks. As it is merely there to keep you bass from getting scratched, not very serious protection other than that. It does come shipped in the gig bag in the Fender box.

Hopefully this helps anyone thinking of one. Main points about me buying this were the vintage aspects of it, particular the neck radius and thinner profile. Those items make it slightly different than just "This year's model" of Jazz bass.

Mark Hughes, TortCult, Yury and 6 others like this.
  2. KoalaOnBass

KoalaOnBass

Feb 18, 2016
    Congrats! That's one pretty bass :)

Shaggai likes this.
  3. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thats a bass I'm very interested in. Nice review..I tried a blue one out in Guitar Center and I thought it sounded very nice. I liked a Player Jazz there too. It was Sunburst. I tried another Player in Sam Ash in Butterscotch and Maple and I didn't like it as much as the '60s in G.C. I liked the feel of the 60s neck. It felt kinda thicker then I was expecting. I liked the tone too. I think this is the next great bass to get. Im impressed with what Fender puts out in the Vintera Series. I'm on board to save up and get me one. I like the gold too. I'll admit I do prefer a bullet truss nut like the '70s has but If I had to go on looks alone, the gold one is the one I'd prefer. Enjoy it my man..

Shaggai likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021