1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Waiting is the hardest part!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Apr 24, 2010.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Here lately i've had that passive bass gas. You know what i'm talking about. That need to simplify a bit and go back to your roots. In a rock band that i'm getting together that passive sound is exactly the type of tone that the band needs as well. So I began my search...

I started looking at a few different options and thought about what i've had in the past. I began looking heavily into G&L basses again. I had one once before and it was a solid bass. I just was digging the active 5 string at the time, so it got no love. I kinda regret letting the old G&L go and began looking for used ones in my area and online. That's when I found this baby!

sb2.

Now, I just have to wait for her to get here.

Well, what do you think?

2. Nice! If I were to ever get a G & L that'd be the one. . .

3. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Sweet. Ebay? I think I was watching that same one.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    yep! i was too, then i decided to buy. ;)

5. nice!

6. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I probably would have bid, but I bought another Spector in the time being so I decided against it. There was another nice one on there a few days before almost the same as the bass you won except it had a black pick guard. It looked pretty sharp.

7. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    BYOOTIFUL!

8. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I feel your pain with the wait. I bought a Tune bass yesterday and now I am waiting for Wednesday to show up.

Lovely G&L though. What are the controls? I mean, something must control the 2nd pickup, 'cause right now the controls look like they are for a P-Bass.

9. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vol-Vol

there is no tone control on an sb-2

10. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Thanks. I was wondering where the tone knob was on there (thought they were stacked knobs at first; silly me).

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    SB-2 basses aren't a traditional P/J bass.

The bridge pickup is not really intended as a standalone Jazz pickup; its intent is to flavor the P pickup. It has rather low output.

12. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    nice! i love that color. the pole pieces look a little strange to me though.

also really liking the simple control layout for a two pickup bass :D

13. sailri

sailri

Nov 16, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I just bought a SB-2 Tribute on Thursday from Craigslist, after having stopped playing in December, deciding to take a rest.

I love mine so far, and you'll really love yours too. Not a big fan of any white-ish pickguard. Maybe the Black Pearl for yours from here:
    http://pickguards.us/materialoptions.htm

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    yea, that's what i've been told. i asked chef about it and he said you could raise the pickup as high as it would go and it would give more output. i don't really feel the need to mod the bass with a tone control. i like the idea of the bridge pickup working as the tone for the P pickup.

15. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    That I didn't know; I thought it was at the same output. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Again, congrats on the bass. When do you get it?

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    should be in this week. i just bought it...

17. Gotta love a blue SB2!

DSCN1179.

Lovely bass you got there!

18. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    You will love your SB-2. Really a great bass for cutting through the mix. The MFD PUPS really are great. I have 2 early 90s SB-2s and they are my main go-to basses. Very well made, hand made basses. No need for tone control. If you set the neck PUP at 7 and the bridge at 3 you get a huge punchy tone for rock/alt rock/Pop. If you want growl up the neck pup to 10. More warmth, up the bridge PUP. Great bridge, neck, tuners (hardly ever have to tune mine, but I do check it every time I play). Had a fretless but hardly played and just traded, that sounded really cool too. Enjoy your bass, and check back in when it arrives and tell us how you like it. Check on the G&L site, you can get pickguards from the original mfg.

Attached Files:

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Great looking basses fellows! I am pumped to get my new Sb-2. Glad to hear your Sb-2's are working so well for you.

20. One thing i would advise you to do is to try to play with the position of the volume knobs!
    The tone changes a lot depending on ow loud you are, and since the pickups have such a high output you dont need to have them on full!
    I usually run the neck pickup at 60% and dont really use the bridge pickup that much unless i want a bit more bite.
    Also, the bridge pickup on its own is a bit useless! This bass isnt really a normal PJ...