1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Warmoth/Allparts build Seafoam Green

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdude51, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Yeah. New Bass Day. A build. Bought this Warmoth Seafoam Green '72 P Bass body about 3 years ago when Warmoth had an anniversary sale. It was 30% off. I wanted to get a Warmoth standard P body but they had none in Seafoam Green, so I bought this one.

As a result, I had to cut a custom one ply white guard for the body to cover up the P pickup rout and the 72's differently shaped control cavity.

Of course underneath is a J neck rout over the top of a P rout.

I traced a P pickguard, then over layed a J pickguard over it and then had to add the "doggie tail" end for the controls. Has a side mount oval shaped jack plate.

An Allparts P neck with Birchwood Tru Oil.

Aero type 1, J pickups (my favorite Js).

TI flats. Volume, Blend, Tone (passive)

This is my "surf Jazz Bass". Very beautiful and sounds great! Around 8lbs 12oz.

I might add an aftermarket Fender decal to the headstock later on but really, whether the headstock says, Precision or Jazz Bass, it's inaccurate since Fender never made a bass like this one.

Thanks for looking, TBers! Just got this long over due project done 10-31-'13. Three years sitting in a box.

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    very cool. congrats sir!

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Nice results, congrats!

4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    The best color ever!

5. That's plain purty! Three years?? Bassdude, you have some patience!

6. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Patience is not one of my strong points but working full-time night shift at UPS kept my spare time to near zero.

I recently retired from UPS (age 62) and now finally, I have some time for my hobbies! Thus, I finally got at it and got it done. Cutting the pickguard really held me back on this project because it's very difficult to cut free hand and get a good clean cut.

Thanks for looking and letting me share. You guys are the best!

7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations! I have been thinking of a J with a P body for a long time already too. Very nice, killer colour, but I would prefer a maple fretboard.

8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    That's a fine piece. I've had a thing for Seafoam Green for a long time and getting a bass in that color is somewhere out there on the project backburner. I also really like Aero I's - got 'em in two of my basses.

I have a Warmoth P body with a Warmoth J neck. The body came from their "Thrift Shop" - that's how far back it goes. It too was already finished and it was a great deal. It also took about 2 years to get it all together. Patience does pay off!

Congrats on your new build and good luck with it!

9. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Great looking bass. I wanna try a warmoth p with the same base color as yours but a tort guard. Like how Kurt cobain did his mustang

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    may I suggest the "jazz bass special" headstock logo? seems appropriate. btw, cool bass, seafoam is one of if not my favorite solid :)